Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Narrowbanding...Good quality radios for hams  (Read 825 times)
KB9JXZ

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2009, 05:31:13 PM »

A little FYI for those who may not know yet.

My company along with many radio companys all over the country are in the process of getting all commercial/public safety type frequencies re-licenced for narrow band and making sure all of their radios are narrow band capable or replaceing them with one that are. This also includes base and repeater systems.
 Some of these repeaters have ran 24/7 for over 20 years or more and complete communication rooms are getting completely replaced, duplexers and all if they are old enough.

Good info at this link, or just google it or whatever.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/topics/technology/communication/fcc-narrowbanding.htm

I searched and did not see anything here so ..for what it's worth ..thought I would share,we have replaced a lot of good quality radios with narrow band capable ones.

73 all

Mike Froehlich,
 KB9JXZ
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 01:01:03 AM »

Very good information.

This is something all hams should be aware of, Contact your local police, fire, etc. And ASK for the old radios!  In many cases, Those old rigs can be recycled to decent ham uses.

APRS, etc is a great way to reuse those old rigs.

As all of them will be single band only, They will not replace good dual band ham rigs, But if the price is right, Find a use for them!
KB4RIZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »

I am hearing that the old Motorola HTs and mobiles are becoming more scarce.  Is this because of the upcoming narrowbanding requirement?  Folks are snapping them up.  they are really solid radios and would be great to repurpose into the amateur field.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: