Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best AM radio for listening to distance station  (Read 6340 times)
KI4CFS

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »

I would like your advice on the Best AM radio and add on indoor antenna for listening to long away stations. I have a good friend that greatest love is the Art Bell show and he pickles up on the cheapest radio with a build in AM antenna. Has done a lot for us this year and I want to get him a Xmass gift of the best AM radio with maybe a boosted external indoors antenna. My budget is under $150.00 if possible but would go up to $200.00 He is not very technical and I don't think would use an outdoor antenna or hang an antenna.

Thanks
Martin
www.KI4CFS.com
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 12:23:05 PM »

AM radios are a peculiar lot. Some of the very best were relative cheapies. One of the best was a very plain GE AM/FM portable that was well known among electronics sales people as being outstanding and is no longer made. Something like this Sony:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/spcialty/0038.html

I assume from what you say that you probably want something simple and a simple setup. Some of the best AM radios are actually car radios. They have to reject noise and be pretty selective. Of course, you have to power them with a 12v supply and build them into a cabinet for any kind of neat arrangement. Some of the old tube radios were great performers. People then listened to AM seriously and were often after distant stations.

The two antenna options are generally an outside longwire or an indoor active antenna. The Teck line seems popular:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant.html

I'd always go for a sizable rotatable loop or at least something with some size, rather than a little mystery box. Most elaborate is something like this:
http://www.kaitousa.com/KA33.htm

Notice that it makes various provisions for connecting or coupling to receivers with or without an external antenna connection and with or without its own external antenna.

I don't know that expensive tabletop AM/FM radios are any better receivers. I think their virtue is in audio quality. Even things like the Henry Kloss Model 88 and the Tivoli benefit from an external antenna.
NG0K

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:58:07 PM »

Assuming that this would be a nightstand radio, I would recommend the Sangean CC Radio 2.   It's a good nightstand radio that gets good AM reception.  

Another idea would be the Grundig G3 Globe Traveler.   Universal Radio has a special that includes a loop antenna.  It is a multiband radio that will get shortwave stations, but not quite as user friendly for nightstand use.

I use the Grundig YB-400PE (now the G4000A) and the Kaito 1103.   Both very good AM radios but not the best for nightstand use.

Doug NG0K.

73, Doug - NG0K
KB2IUA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:02:21 PM »

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwave-radios/ccradio-sw.aspx
Check this link.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:26:13 AM »

The best radio in the world on a poor antenna will always lose to a poor radio on a good antenna. Invest in researching receive antennas.

73 de Lindy
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 05:31:06 AM »

Panasonic RF-2200
Sony ICF-2010
G.E. Superradio III
C Crane SW (re-bagded Redsun RP-2100)
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 02:35:28 PM »

Well if it was still 1966 i would say get a Ford Mustang AM radio. Mine was great,it had low noise fantastic reception and awlsome audio. All for a low price! If you can find virtually any tube 1950`s era radio,like a Zenith with a built in antenna on the back they are great. E-bay is an idea,maybe you could find someone locally that is selling one and could demonstrate it for you. Or a yard sale. Maybe not an expensive wooden type,but a plastic one,they are cheap enough and work fine. Many  50`s era tubes are available.(at least the popular ones)
CHARLIEBAKER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »

a-m is okay but side band is better for distence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: