Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM 718 Power Output Issue  (Read 458 times)
MOTOR486

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:17:03 PM »

I have owned my IC-718 for just over a year. All was fine until very recently. I noticed the my power output, which used to be near 100W, is now maxing out at 50W.

Nothing in my system has changed, to include my antennas (Inv "V" dipoles). I plugged my 40M dipole directly into my rig and recorded an SWR reading of about 1.5:1. My power output is still only 50W.

Might this be a power supply issue rather than a rig issue? I am using an Astron ss-25.

I know that it's nearly impossible to diagnose a problem like this without looking at the rig. Any help is appreciated. I may just have to take it to an authorized repair shop to have someone look at it. Thanks.

Rob
AJ4SB
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 01:27:26 PM »

How is the integrity of the power supply connections, including any inline fuse holders?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 04:05:27 PM »

Have you checked the menu to make sure it's still set for "H" power?
MOTOR486

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 04:05:24 AM »

Yes, I checked my power setting in the menu. The funny thing was that when I turned the power down to "50," I had the same power oputput as when I had it on "H," which I found to be curious. I was watching my external wattmeter as I turned the power setting down. It was only when I got to "50" and below that my output power started dropping.

I unplugged my power supply and tried it on another radio. I was getting 13.8 volts, so I plugged it back into my 718 and transmitted into a dummy load. I was then getting full power. I plugged my antenna back in and, viola, full power.

I surmise that my power supply connectors may be the issue. I will re-do them this weekend. I may also change out the PL-259 connectors on my antennas. Even if that isn't the issue it can't hurt to have fresh connectors.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Rob
AJ4SB
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »

How about metering your supply voltage under load.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: