Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looong answers  (Read 536 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2009, 03:33:16 PM »

Why are some answers to simple questions so long? Some answer with a useful one or two lines while others construct a mini-novel that wanders and never answers the question.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »

Sometimes somethings require extra words I guess.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »

"Why are some answers to simple questions so long? Some answer with a useful one or two lines while others construct a mini-novel that wanders and never answers the question."

It depends.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:55:12 PM »

To give whiners a reason to live ?
VE6JRU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 02:38:27 AM »

> Why are some answers to simple questions so long?

What's that quote again? "For every simple question, there is an answer that is short, easy, and wrong"?

Seriously though, it could be that the apparently simple question is much less simple when appropriate context isn't given.

It also could be that the person answering feels the need to educate or provide background explaining how they came to their (sometimes missing) answer to your question. Lord knows, I've done that a time or three...

They might also just need to exercise their fingers ;-)

Jordan
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 05:17:44 AM »

Because when you give a simple answer to anything, someone will always come back with the one exception where that isn't exactly true :-)
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 07:48:28 AM »

Some answers at eham are so long, drift about logically, and finally don't answer the question. They are so long and disorganized that I suspect few read them.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »

Well, some people just can't express themselves well in writing. But a lot of people trying to answer someone are working with little or no information about the person asking. (It's really nice when someone says, "I've been licensed a year, and this is my first antenna project, and I need to know...") If you wrongly assume they know very little, the worst that happens is they hear some stuff they already know (and may or may not agree with). If you wrongly assume they know a lot, a short, direct answer won't help them.

Answering in an open forum can be tricky, if you're trying to not only give a clear answer but avoid some poor novice being buried in nit-picking response to the response. It's true you might give a two-word answer that gets them what they want. But a lot of the time, that's going to bring in a bunch of people to say it's not that simple, and you need to know..., and that's the wrong question, etc. Often, there's no winning. You either confuse or insult.

A lot of the time, a long answer might be better replaced with a link to a god article that someone spent a lot more time writing and revising than what we post here. (Finding and reading the article and essentially copying the article to be your long answer as if you knew all that doesn't count.)

And since the original question, "Why are some answers to simple questions so long?" is really unanswerable, here's a long answer that doesn't answer it. Enjoy.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »

A question that seems simple may not be. And even a simple question may not have a simple answer.

Example:

"What's a good HF starter rig?"

Simple question, right?

But the answer depends on a whole bunch of factors:

- $$ available
- kind of operating desired (bands/modes/dx-vs.-ragchew, home/mobile/portable, )
- space available/size desired
- is used ok or must it be new? internal tuner, ps and other accessories required?
- simple and easy to use vs. lots of features?
- something to get started with that will soon be replaced, or a rig to keep a long time?
- computer interface/control/SDR?

Depending on those factors, a particular rig can be a great choice or a terrible one.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »

"What's a good HF starter rig?"

A good HF starter rig is one that has the features you want at a price you can afford.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: