Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: using heil prosetiC on IC7200  (Read 951 times)
BPONG

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2009, 09:46:58 AM »

question;
i connected the prosetiC to my 7200.
i am a newbie at SSB.  i participated abit in the arrl ssb sweepstakes this past weekend.

i transmit, using the hand pushbutton, and i hear my
voice over the headset.  however, the audio in my headset of my voice is heavily garbled and distorted.  i still make contacts, but what i hear of my voice thru my headset is garbled and distorted.  when i lowered the mike gain from 50% to 35%, i do not hear my voice at all.  is the default mike gain in the IC7200 set too high for the mike on the prosetiC headset ?
or is it something else ?
my cable connections are fine...
some input on this would be greatly appreciated...
va3bpo
G0CVL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:52:07 AM »

One of your problems, is that the Proset with the ic element, is designed for OLDER Icom radios, that had lower level audio in, so the ic element is HIGH gain so it drives the older sets enough.
You will find (as you allready have), that because of this, that the adjustment is very tricky using the mic gain.
Also,the level of compression is critical using this element as well.
Having said that, I use a heil Proset ic on my ic7400 (745pro) and get excellent audio reports all the time, it's just a matter of "balancing" the settings. The heil headsets ARE a little sensitive to rf pickup as well, and you can't also rely on the monitor feature to tell what you sound like on the air, you need to listen on a second receiver to yourself to tell properly.
Your other alternative is to change to the HC-5 element or such like, which is a dynamic element, not electret high gain, and do it that way.
Hope it helps.

Cheers

Spike - G0CVL
BPONG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 07:21:06 AM »

G0CVL, many thanx for the input.
i will adjust my settings, and perhaps also check for any stray RF in my radio setup.
as well, i may checkout the HC-5 element you suggested as well.
your input is much appreciated !!!
va3bpo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: