Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Look for new 144/440 Mobile -- Everything is Digital  (Read 450 times)
KG9SF

Ignore
« on: Yesterday at 05:21:33 PM »

Forgive me, guys.  I'm a low-vision OT who's looking for a new 2M/440 mobile rig.  I've looked at Kenwood, Icom, and Yaesu, but it's awfully hard for me to gather all the details without spending hours looking at a single webpage.

Anyway, icom seems to make only one non-ldigital radio, and that one is 2M only.  Ken wood and Yaesu don't seem to be making ANY non-digital 2M/440 radios.

I don't want to jump into digital until some format agreement is reached.  The social security check only goes so far.

Anyone have thoughts or ideas about this?

Thanks and 73,
Scott. KG9SF
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:31:07 PM »

Forgive me, guys.  I'm a low-vision OT who's looking for a new 2M/440 mobile rig.  I've looked at Kenwood, Icom, and Yaesu, but it's awfully hard for me to gather all the details without spending hours looking at a single webpage.

Anyway, icom seems to make only one non-ldigital radio, and that one is 2M only.  Ken wood and Yaesu don't seem to be making ANY non-digital 2M/440 radios.

I don't want to jump into digital until some format agreement is reached.  The social security check only goes so far.

Anyone have thoughts or ideas about this?

Thanks and 73,
Scott. KG9SF

They are not digital mode radios. They are microprocessor controlled but they all are now. Icom makes a few rigs that are digital though. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:19:47 AM »

I don't want to jump into digital until some format agreement is reached.

I wouldn't until someone can come up with a useful purpose for it.  I'm not "against" digital but the DStar flavor has been out for a long time and it appears it's still a solution seeking the right problem to come along.

There are lots of "analog" dual banders out there, new and used.  The only thing I would stay away from for now are the cheep chinese mobiles.  Maybe someday they could be the functional equivalent of their japanese counterparts but they're not quite there yet.  It's one thing to pay $35 for a crappy chinese HT but I wouldn't pay hundreds for a crappy chinese mobile.

If you're looking for "thrifty" the venerable Kenwood 721 dual banders I've found for as little as $100.  Last year I bought a Yaesu 8800 for the car using the $100 off Yaesu promotion and it's working out well for me.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N7WR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:29:15 AM »

All 3 of the JA manufacturers make non digital dual band mobiles.  The Yaesu FT 8800R is but one example.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:24:49 AM »

Kenwood TM-D710. Yes it does APRS as well but that is a packet function you don't have to use. Outside of that its a normal dual band radio with a large display. The other option is the Icom 2820. It does DSTAR but that is an option you have to purchase and again it works as a standard dual band radio with a large display.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: