The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATAS 120 quit working w/FT100D  (Read 4760 times)
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 09:00:25 PM »

Sheeeyyyttt, thanks all you guys. I didn't want to start a fight. The guys at HRO said that these ATAS antennas were "the cat's pajamas" and I bought into it!
The last I was active (several years ago) the outbacker was the cool setup and I had two of those and loved them! I come back and they are gone!?
The Texas bugcatcher was rare but worked well and the gaudy Hustler with multi coils was perfection if you were brave enough to stick that monstrosity on your vehicle! (Same as the bugcatcher). Screwdrivers were out and that was the hottest trend if you had deep enough pockets.

That ATAS is a horrible antenna, I won't lie. I used to have one. It sucked period.

I got a SCorpion SA680. Which is akin to taking a tricycle to a top fuel drag race expecting to pedal your way to a 5 second quarter mile. Just not happening. A Tarheel will run circles around an ATAS and a Scorpion will run circles around an Tarheel (Most models, except their biggest ones, even that is debatable )
K7FF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2016, 09:09:19 PM »

Sheeeyyyttt, thanks all you guys. I didn't want to start a fight. The guys at HRO said that these ATAS antennas were "the cat's pajamas" and I bought into it!
The last I was active (several years ago) the outbacker was the cool setup and I had two of those and loved them! I come back and they are gone!?
The Texas bugcatcher was rare but worked well and the gaudy Hustler with multi coils was perfection if you were brave enough to stick that monstrosity on your vehicle! (Same as the bugcatcher). Screwdrivers were out and that was the hottest trend if you had deep enough pockets.

Not a fight, just a heated difference of opinion between unequals...

Don Johnson invented and patented the Screwdriver so that fat-ass hams could stay inside their vehicles when they wanted to change bands.  We used to laugh about that when we saw each other at ham swaps (which was rather often), and marveled at all the Screwdrivers in attendance, especially when we watched the drivers trying to squeeze in/out of their vehicles.  The downfall came when the typical ham became so blubberly that he couldn't get inside his vehicle when he was outside, nor outside his vehicle when he was inside.

The Hustler mobile antenna, with its iconic resonators, is the absolute best and durable all band HF mobile antenna, bar none, that is...unless you add a tri-resonator to the top of the mast.  Then, just like the typical Screwdriver, it becomes clunky, unwieldy, ugly, and will eventually lead to that same fat-ass ham syndrome.  I still have several (Hustlers, not fat asses).

So, you have been forewarned: sell that ATAS for whatever you can get for it and upgrade to one or two Hustler HF antennas (before the word gets out).

Derek
K7FF
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:12:52 PM by K7FF » Logged
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 09:15:47 PM »

Don Johnson invented and patented the Screwdriver so that fat-ass hams could stay inside their vehicles when they wanted to change bands.  We used to laugh about that when we saw each other at ham swaps (which was rather often), and marveled at all the Screwdrivers in attendance, especially when we watched the drivers trying to squeeze in/out of their vehicles.  The downfall came when the typical ham became so blubberly that he couldn't get inside his vehicle when he was outside, nor outside his vehicle when he was inside.

The Hustler mobile antenna, with its iconic resonators, is the absolute best and durable all band HF mobile antenna, bar none, that is...unless you add a tri-resonator to the top of the mast.  Then, just like the typical Screwdriver, it becomes clunky, unwieldy, ugly, and will eventually lead to that same fat-ass ham syndrome.  I still have several (Hustlers, not fat asses).

So, you have been forewarned: sell that ATAS for whatever you can get for it and upgrade to one or two Hustler HF antennas (before the word gets out).

Derek
K7FF

I have a screwdriver antenna that simply put, allows me to change bands while going 70mph down the interstate and talk to different people. When one band is bad I go to another, too lazy to stop and change antennas you say? I am on a road trip and I want to change bands so should I get out and change one of 8 different antennas or multiple resonators or blah blah ? No I just push a button and I am done band changing?

Are you too lazy Derek to get out of your house and take your vertical antenna down or pull down your loop antenna and put up a new one when you want to change bands? Do you go outside and pull down your dipole and hoist a new one up each time you want to change bands? No you use a tuner from your fat lazy comfortable desk.

You are a literal idiot through and through and your commentary is representative of a pure idiot.

Based on your commentary, judgemental, rash, harsh, and obscene commentary towards the general population of HAMs .....

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 09:23:15 PM by KK4YDR » Logged
K7FF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 11:40:48 PM »

Derek
K7FF

I have a screwdriver antenna that simply put, allows me to change bands while going 70mph down the interstate and talk to different people. When one band is bad I go to another, too lazy to stop and change antennas you say? I am on a road trip and I want to change bands so should I get out and change one of 8 different antennas or multiple resonators or blah blah ? No I just push a button and I am done band changing?

Are you too lazy Derek to get out of your house and take your vertical antenna down or pull down your loop antenna and put up a new one when you want to change bands? Do you go outside and pull down your dipole and hoist a new one up each time you want to change bands? No you use a tuner from your fat lazy comfortable desk.

You are a literal idiot through and through and your commentary is representative of a pure idiot.

Based on your commentary, judgemental, rash, harsh, and obscene commentary towards the general population of HAMs .....

All that may well be true, but the last time I checked it isn't.

I do have an impediment which significantly interferes with the physical side of the hobby.  I lost my left leg above the knee a few years back, and now have a prosthesis and am confined to a wheelchair most of the time.  And, no I am not too lazy to get out of my 2nd floor apartment, where I live alone and am entirely self-sufficient, with its 17-step external staircase which I 'walk' up and down several times daily. I keep a wheelchair in my apartment and another at the bottom of the stair case.  I wheel back and forth to where my Dakota lives in the apartment parking lot.

Like others with disabilities, I use my brain power to compensate.  With your quite obvious personality disorders, you might give it a try.

And, yes, when I operate HF mobile from my '05 Dodge Dakota pickup, on the rare occasion I decide to change bands of my Hustler derived setup, I must, of necessity, safely pull over, exit the pickup, go through the arduous process of changing resonators, etc., return to the cab, and be on my way.

I do not use a dipole or other outdoor antennas, I use mobile/portable antennas on my Dakota and apartment balcony, which I design and build myself.  I like doing this, and occasionally want to share the results and what I learned along the way.  But, it is little appreciated, as so many of the 'deserving' prefer to kill the messenger instead... As was oft said in the past, ignorance is unholy bliss.

As for being an idiot, savant or otherwise, I will gladly compare my verifiable IQ, academic accomplishments, licenses, credentials and degrees with you at any time.

I am not looking for sympathy, only a modicum of civility and respect, which seem to be very rare commodities these perilous times.

Derek
K7FF
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:46:13 PM by K7FF » Logged
K7FF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 11:54:10 PM »

I tell you what. 

It appears that it is time for me to pick up my ball and bat, and look for friendlier pastures.

!Adios, amigos!
K7FF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 12:14:07 AM »

BTW:  Before I go,

Other than your Forum trolls, and Charter membership in the 7200Club, what other signficants have you recently contributed to ham radio...?

Say what?

What was that, again?

Derek
K7FF
K7FF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 11:25:37 AM »

Derek
K7FF

All that may well be true, but the last time I checked it isn't.

I do have an impediment which significantly interferes with the physical side of the hobby.  I lost my left leg above the knee a few years back, and now have a prosthesis and am confined to a wheelchair most of the time.  And, no I am not too lazy to get out of my 2nd floor apartment, where I live alone and am entirely self-sufficient, with its 17-step external staircase which I 'walk' up and down several times daily. I keep a wheelchair in my apartment and another at the bottom of the stair case.  I wheel back and forth to where my Dakota lives in the apartment parking lot.

Like others with disabilities, I use my brain power to compensate.  With your quite obvious personality disorders, you might give it a try.

And, yes, when I operate HF mobile from my '05 Dodge Dakota pickup, on the rare occasion I decide to change bands of my Hustler derived setup, I must, of necessity, safely pull over, exit the pickup, go through the arduous process of changing resonators, etc., return to the cab, and be on my way.

I do not use a dipole or other outdoor antennas, I use mobile/portable antennas on my Dakota and apartment balcony, which I design and build myself.  I like doing this, and occasionally want to share the results and what I learned along the way.  But, it is little appreciated, as so many of the 'deserving' prefer to kill the messenger instead... As was oft said in the past, ignorance is unholy bliss.

As for being an idiot, savant or otherwise, I will gladly compare my verifiable IQ, academic accomplishments, licenses, credentials and degrees with you at any time.

I am not looking for sympathy, only a modicum of civility and respect, which seem to be very rare commodities these perilous times.

Derek
K7FF

If one is burdened with an abysmal IQ, such as yourself, literal time is well spent.

BTW:  An 'ellipses' is composed of three periods ..., not a whole bunch.

Derek
K7FF
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 11:34:03 AM by K7FF » Logged
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 01:47:46 PM »

Back to the subject matter.
Don't change bands while travelling at speed with an ATAS, you will strip the gears

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 01:49:27 PM »

Don't change bands while travelling at speed with an ATAS, you will strip the gears

For just a hundred fifty more you can get a Tarheel that runs circles around this Japanese disaster of a dummy load.
K7FF

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 02:04:01 PM »

And, don't fiddle/adjust/talk/chomp on your radio/antenna/computer/gps/Big Mac while driving down the highway--it's sorta like texting while driving down the highway---you're gonna kill someone--oops, too late, I thing you just did.

Derek
K7FF
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 02:11:24 PM by K7FF » Logged
K7FF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 02:09:36 PM »

For just a hundred fifty more you can get a Tarheel that runs circles around this Japanese disaster of a dummy load.
And, continue to amplify your larger-than-life park bench, which may then require the installation of overloads on your saggy 4-Runner.

Derek
K7FF
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 02:14:40 PM by K7FF » Logged
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 03:19:31 PM »

ATAS 120A is by far the worst HF mobile antenna I have EVER owned or used.I would not own another for FREE if I'm required to keep & use it.Pathetic is not even a bad enough word for what it was.RUN far far away & buy a TARHEEL or other brand & save yourself a lot of grief.Check the eHam reviews from myself & many other & do NOT spend your hard earned dollars of this POS.

Clayton
W4KVW
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 10:04:07 AM »

I had excellent time with ATAS-100. Its advantage is small size and automatic tuning.

My car rental setup is FT-891, ATAS--100, MFJ battery conditioner, lip mount and a cable. Less than 10 lb. I like to operate from top of hills or close to salt water.

The ATAS has trouble going up when the engine is off. Not enough voltage. With the engine running, no problem. Also with lip mount,  tuning CW portion on 40m sometimes does not work. No problem with 4 magnet mount on the top.

If ATAS-120 does not work, I would try to fix it. It is worth it.

Ignacy, NO9E
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 08:53:26 AM »

Sheeeyyyttt, thanks all you guys. I didn't want to start a fight.

Don't worry about it.  It doesn't take much to start a fight here.  Smiley Some people appear to be just waiting for the next fight.  Smiley     73!  --ken
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: