Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1999 Buick Century tips wanted  (Read 2327 times)
KC4WMU

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2000, 10:35:52 PM »

I am interested in tips for power supply and mobile antennas on a 1999 Buick Century company car.  I cannot drill a hole in the roof.  I would be operating HF phone, 10 to 80 meters, with my ICOM 747.  Thanks, Ted, KC4WMU
AC5WO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2000, 01:13:43 PM »

Heavy gauge wires can be routed from the battery to the passenger compartment using the unused clutch linkage hole in the firewall for cars with an automatic transmission.  (Not sure if this will work for this GM platform, but previous Pontiac Grand Prix had manual transmission available even though same platform Buick didn't.)  Oil resistant #8 and larger wire is available at Home Depot.  Drill a hole and install a gromet in a replacement cover for the clutch linkage cover.  Be sure to install in-line fuses at the battery end of the wires.  I also use a smaller wire gauge section between the fuses and the battery so that if all else fails, the smaller wire will melt first.

For the antenna, you might use an extra heavy duty magnetic mount on the trunk lid.  Coax can probably be routed through either a pass-through in the back seat or possibly under the seat.  Unlike the firewall, there should be many holes from the trunk into the passenger compartment.  Coaxial cable with a Teflon outer jacket is much more resistant to abrasion than cheaper PVC jacket coax.  I've used RG-142 coax with good results.  For Japanese cars with much smaller gaps between body panels, I've used short lengths of RG-316 coax.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: