Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2&6 meter mobile ops  (Read 3266 times)
RONDOB

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2000, 02:30:25 PM »

First, let me say that I am a complete neophyte.  I've read a few books and think that receiving a Tech license might be the way to go.  I am going to be traveling extensively starting in May (new job driving truck).  I'm looking for a way for my wife and myself to keep in touch.  We live in Colorado and I am wondering if and what would be the best way to go.  I'm sorry if these questions seem incredibly naive but would a 2 or 6 meter rig do what i need it to do? I.e. let me keep in touch with my family from either coast.  Any and all comments welcome, advice appreciated, feel fre to e-mail rondob@rmi.net.  Thanks in advance.
Rondo
KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2000, 01:00:16 PM »

Rondo,
  Neither a 2 or 6 meter radio would do the job. Both of those bands do not offer reliable communications on a regular basis over long distances. Around town yes, but not long distances. You'd need HF capability really and she'd need to be licensed as well as you and both of you would need at least a General class license. Others here can correct me if I'm wrong and add additional advise of coarse.

73 de Tom

KD5MAW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2000, 02:53:48 PM »

What about SSB on 28.300 - 28.500 mhz? Isn't this 10m sliver available to Tech Plus licensees??
RONDOB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2000, 07:12:15 PM »

Okay, that's cool.  So what am I looking at here, General licenses for the wife and myself and 10 meter or 20 meter?  This is exactly what I need to know prior to going in.  Thanks.
Rondo
KD5MAW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2000, 11:08:05 AM »

Rondo, I checked the FCC rules again to verify the rules for 10m. It is correct that you may transmit CW and single sideband (SSB) voice on the 28.300-28.500mhz portion of 10 meters IF AND ONLY IF you have passed the Technician class written exam AND the 5 wpm Morse code test. That is, you and the wife MUST both hold what is generaly called "Tech plus" licenses. To get frequency privileges in phone mode (voice) beyond that (e.g., outside the 28mhz slice plus 20m, 40m, etc.) you must BOTH hold General class licenses. This requires passing a 35 question written exam in addition to the 5 wpm code test. Hope this helps.

gadget
RONDOB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2000, 11:47:14 AM »

Thanks eveyone. Now we know what we need to do.  Going to contact the local Ham club (Pueblo) and get started.  
Rondo
KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2000, 09:19:58 AM »

Go for it, it's not that hard. You both can do it! Let us know how you are making out. Good luck!
RONDOB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2001, 05:35:47 PM »

Well,
Took both the element 2 and 3 tests today and passed with flying colors.  Now, to find tapes or programs to learn CW and we are there.  Thanks to everyone for the encouragement.  I'll keep you posted on my CW progress.
Rondo
P.S. I should know my call leters in 7-10 days.
KC9L

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2001, 11:56:24 PM »

Good Luck!  I think you'll find that you've opened up a whole new world for yourself- one much greater than you imagine.  73 and hope to work you on 10 sometime.

73, chris, KC9L
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: