Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miata / MX5 BC antenna for 2 meters?  (Read 740 times)
G8OSN

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2001, 02:57:18 PM »

Hi,

Has anyone tried adapting the broadcast antenna on a Mazda Miata (or MX5 in the UK)to serve a dual purpose as a 2m 1/4wave and still for broadcast radio.

It looks easy- a trim to lenght and a coax relay to select the coax. In fact, too easy- which is why I asked the question ;-)

Brian
G8OSN
AF5II

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2001, 12:23:43 AM »

Well Brian I wouldnt advise that unless you installed some device to keep RF from going back to the AM/FM radio in the car.  If you don't as soon as you key up you will fry the cars radio.  And as for a device to stop the the RF from going back to the AM/FM, I've never heard of such a device but somebody probably makes one.  I'm sure your not the first one with that idea.

John Critz
G8OSN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2001, 08:06:21 AM »

Hi John,

That is why I planned on using a coax relay to select whether the aerial was switched to the Tx or BC RX. Do you not think this would provide enough isolation? I could also include a 145MHz 1/4 wave coax length in the BC Rx line, with some back to back diodes as well. Any stray RF down the coax would turn on the diodes and the 1/4 wave line would then present a Hi Z to the unselected relay port with the diodes limiting any 145 MHz RF into the BC Rx. That just seemed a bit over the top.

Any comments appreciated.

Brian
G8OSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: