Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memory tuners for screwdriver antennas............  (Read 724 times)
N4ZFQ

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2000, 11:19:32 AM »

I have been using a screwdriver antenna on my suburban now for 6 months. The performance is fantastic. I get good reports and I'm being heard. The problem is that I am a danger to the driving public when I have to tune the antenna. I have since stopped tuning while driving but I am curious about these memory units on the market now. I can read but it's not the same as talking to someone that has used the product. I'm interested in how accurate it is and if they remain consistant over time. Any comments can be emailed to N4ZFQ@ARRL.NET
KC7YCL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2001, 06:06:40 PM »

I'd like to find out more about this too. I'm investigating HF installation possibilities for a luxury Toyota Tacoma. In order of importance:

1. Looks. Must be really snazzy. no dangling wires, etc.
2. Must perform halfway decent.
3. Convenience. I will NOT change antennas to change bands.

So far I've come to the following conclusions: The High Sierra screwdriver is the best performing mobile antenna and the SGC QMS system is the easiest to use. I'd really like to have a High Sierra screwdriver that will auto-tune like the Yaesu ATAS system. However, I hate Yaesu products (lots of features that I never use) and I don't want to be forced to use a yaesu radio with it.

If High Sierra made an auto-tune screwdriver that looked like it BELONGED on my truck (Maybe chrome plated and shrouded so it looks like it's as sleek and smooth as my truck body), I'd pay up to $1500 for it if I felt it was a good value.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: