Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m mobile and radar detectors  (Read 793 times)
KD7DPU

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2001, 09:50:39 AM »

Greetings all,

I have noticed that when transmitting mobile, something, either the radio, or the RF from the radio, falses the radar detector. Not as a strong threat, just a small "beep". I use the Valentine One radar detector, supposedly one of the best in rejecting false signals.

The antenna is mounted on the roof of the truck cab. The detector is on a suction cup mount on the windshield near the top (near the roof).

What is likely the cause? The proximity to the roof where the antenna is?

The coax for the antenna is what ever is standard for analog cell phones (I am using the old previously installed cell phone antenna base).

Might choking out the power lead to the detector help?

Any suggestions are appreciated?

Thanks!
Robert
KD7DPU

W2NJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2001, 04:51:32 PM »

Robert: The Valentine is probably designed to "hear" from all sides, and is therefore working in an unshielded case at 10,000 mHz and above, so my bet would be that stray RF is simply getting into one of the Valentine's IF stages and causing it to bark at you when you're on the air. How about moving it to the far driver's side of the windshield and using the driver's body to block the 2M signal?

Regards,
Tom, in D.C.
AF4YA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2001, 06:53:52 PM »

I have a vehicle that has an alarm system that uses a microwave sensor to detect motion. If I transmit over 5 watts it will cause it to chirp a few times. Even though my sensor and a radar detector work in the SHF ranges, the power of a good 2 meter can cause a little front end overload and give false alarms. Unfortunately since both a sensor like mine and a radar detector need to have a signal of some sort to trigger you can't really shield them without loosing effectivness. Best you can do is run your 2 meter at a lower power and cross your fingers:) That or run the speed limit ;P

Hope this helps.
73s
Nick
AF4YA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: