Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise Supression Hints and Coax Suggestions Needed  (Read 876 times)
AG4DX

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2001, 02:17:48 PM »

I've recently installed a HF rig (Icom 747GX) into my car (1995 Nissan Maxima), and I'm pleased so far at the results. However, I'm fighting a nasty noise problem (thank goodness for noise blankers!).

The noise disappears when I remove the antenna feed from the rig, so I know it's not getting in through the power connection. If I disconnect the antenna from the feedline, I still have noise. This means at least some of the noise is coming in through the coax itself.

So, I need to replace the coax with something that has additional shielding. My Hamstick is mounted on a magnet mount on the trunk (one of those big three-magnet jobs). The existing coax is run from a low-profile connector underneath the magnet mount. What would be a good replacement for this coax connection? Remember that there isn't a lot of clearance underneath the magnet mount, and I need something with some good shielding. Is there a good quality coax with a low profile connection available commercially, or should I make something myself?

Should I also concentrate on getting some additional shielding for my spark plugs? I've seen the Magnecor line of spark plug cables that are built for RF shielding, and I've had suggestions of changing the spark plugs to some new and higher quality plugs.

Where should I concentrate my efforts initially?

James, AG4DX

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2001, 06:59:16 PM »

Hi,

Here are just a few things you can try
with any type car/truck:

Is there a ground wire from the hood of
car to a car ground ?
This can help keep noise out of your
feed and radio.

You are running from the battery to the
radio instead of power tap inside car.

Try grounding the muffler pipe to the
car, this has helped others.

You may have an electric fuel pump if you
are on fuel injection, this can also cause
noise to the radio.

Good luck.

alex
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2001, 12:27:37 AM »

You might try the Radio Shack unit that filters the noise under the hood. It is good up to 20 amps and works well. It consists mainly of a capacitor and goes from the battery to the ground.  Give that a shot.
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: