Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorcycle mobile  (Read 705 times)
KB9NGI

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2000, 05:28:31 PM »

I have been plotting a new Drifter bike for next Spring.  Anyone know of a source for plans to upgrade the charging system of a bike to handle the draw of a 706 or how to set up antennas?

Thanks!
FWIW
jimB
AC5WA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2000, 05:47:53 PM »

The off road folks know a lot about getting more than normal out of motorcycle electrical systems.  Some of the Baja racers cary well over 100 watts  of driving lights.  I believe I would start my search with them.  

You really would not need a whole lot more than standard.  I don't know what the IC706 requires on RX/TX but I would think a separate battery that is disconnected from the main system when the engine is off using a relay would do to keep you from running down and loosing the cranking battery if you decide to operate when stopped.  You could probably get by with putting a separate battery in a saddle bag and wiring it into the charging system as described.

Have FUN! AC5WA
X BMWOA
X GWRRA
X AMA
KC2BCY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2000, 10:08:29 AM »

I've been running a homebrew 1/4 wave mounted on the tourbox of my Kawasaki Voyager XII. The antenna has a small magnet mount, and I mounted a metal plate onto the luggage rack which is on top of the box. The box is 'glass, but lack of a decent ground plane hasn't been much of a problem.  Hit a few repeaters 10-12 miles off on a regular basis. Several trips to both West Coast and Arizona found my setup working well, but somewhat inconvenient. Rig is an ADI AT-201 mounted inside a pouch on the right side of the fairing.  Power is from the HT battery, charged at night during stopovers.  This hasn't been a problem, but I carry a spare battery.  Currently using a regular handheld mic and earbuds, but looking into throat mic.  Also had an amp'ed speaker (Radio Shack) mounted on handlebars, but turned out to be too cumbersome. Thinking about decal antenna, as mentioned in another question. (See Elmer's section)
Good Luck, Ride Safe.
Ralph
KC2BCY
AMA
KD4ZD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2001, 06:29:06 AM »

Hi Jim,
  Ran motorcycle mobile since 1977, both in Europe & the USA.  Gold Wings don't need any extra electrical enhancements.  Biggest problem I had was being able to hear.  My best solution was a helmet speaker and a "bull horn" mtd on the false tank. My web page address is: http://home.att.net/~usaret.copp/   Enjoy!  73's, Larry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: