Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help w/ Grounding mobile rig..  (Read 619 times)
K4ARD

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2001, 01:58:39 AM »

As a old ham op returning after yrs. of absence, and never mobile 'till recently, I've heard different views about how to ground ant., running copper braid along chassis(under car) ? Just what do I need to do to ground properly ? Thanks for reply.
Brian / ka4zrf
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2001, 06:17:45 PM »

Well, Brian, welcome back. I don't know the age of the vehicle you are going to use. I am going to assume it is not new. That way what I say will work even if I am addressing a newer vehicle.  
1: Be sure to run a ground braid between any parts that move on the body and the body. The trunk, the exhaust, the hood, the doors, etc. That helps eleminate the noise generated as you "rattle" down the roads.
2: Be sure to run a fused (resetable breaker)positive AND negative lead from the battery to the radio.
3: Be sure the coax braid is grounded to the connector solidly. Then if not a mag mount, ground the antenna end of the coax to the vehicle body ( or the antenna if configured for it).
4:  Be sure to find out where the computer is if the vehicle has one ( most do after 1976 ) and keep the power AND antenna leads away from the computer and the computer power feed.
5:  Look thru this Forum to see what problem others have had with similar vehicles and use their past experience to fix yours BEFORE you experience the same ones.
6:  Power up and have fun. See you on the air.
Frank
KL7IPV
K4ARD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2001, 11:51:47 PM »

Have my HF mobile rig in '96 Blazer..tnx..
Brian / ka4zrf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: