Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help with "Screwdriver Antenna" and  (Read 801 times)
KG5KS

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2001, 09:58:43 PM »

I have a Kenwood TS-440S and just bought a "Screwdriver Type" hf antenna.  I want to install these in to my 1999 Grand Voyager SE Minivan "Same as Dodge Grand Caravan SE".  I have a 2inch receiver for light towing and thought I might make up a mount for the antenna, problem is the coil will be below the top of the van.  It has a 3/8 inch thread at the bottom for the mount, I was told that I might what to put a INSULATED mount just below the coil for stability, problem is I would have to have a 3 or 4 ft extension to do this..  Now for the radio, I have the Kenwood and I would have to configure some kind of mount after taking out the center console, any ideas or should I just sell the Kenwood and buy a smaller rig such as TS-50s, Alinco, Icom etc....  If so what kind to buy for portable'mobile/emergency type use?
The only things that bothers me on these type of rigs is how well do they operate when around other radios such as in a emergency type situation?   I appreciate you reading this and I'm looking forward to hear from a lot of you.  All Suggestions, Pictures, are Greatly APPRECIATED!!

73 to all

Kenny

kg5ks@arrl.net
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2001, 03:03:49 PM »

First, I don't really understand what you mean by a "3 or 4 ft. extension to do this."  Why is that?  I can't believe your trailer hitch sticks out 3 feet behind the rear of the minivan...so where does this "3 or 4 ft. extension" come from?

Normally, when mounting a Screwdriver, because of its mass and wind loading, almost everyone does use an additional insulated support of some kind to hold the vertical mast, just below the tuning coil, to the vehicle body.  With a Screwdriver mounted on a hitch tube plugged into the 2" receiver, I'd think the vertical mast of the antenna would be only several inches behind the minivan's butt.  It would be easy to use a piece of, say, 2" PVC (as an example) as a horizontal stabilizer bar going between the antenna mast and a bracket attached to the rear of the minivan sheet metal at an appropriate location, and that stabilizer wouldn't need to be more than maybe 8-9" long.  The real issue, then, is what to strap that stabilizer bar to, on the minivan.

Normally, I'd suggest attaching it to the rear tubing of a roof rack; however if this is impossible due to a large discrepancy in height between the Screwdriver coil/mast and the roofline, then something else needs to be worked out.

It is not an electrical problem that the Screwdriver coil ends up below the top of the van, it will work fine that way; the real issue is mechanical.

Regarding changing radios: I'd personally recommend you stick with the TS440S if you can.  The newer, compact rigs are obviously smaller and easier to install; but they don't perform any better, and the TS440S has the extreme advantage of having an optional built-in antenna tuner, not available in the "mini" rigs.  If you have the "AT" model, this is very helpful.  Also, the TS440S, being a bit older and larger than the new "mini" radios, is somewhat easier to use when mobiling around, since it does not require frequent use of a menu to change functions.  (The "mini" rigs can drive one a bit nuts in this regard...you have to use a menu to change the mike gain setting, or almost anything else...kind of hazardous to do while driving.)

73 es good luck with the installation!

Steve WB2WIK/6

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2001, 06:06:31 PM »

hi om,

please go to the article section,
there is a recent story on an install
exactly like the one you want to do.

73 walter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: