Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel pump Noise in Isuzu Rodeo  (Read 686 times)
N3UJV

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2001, 10:08:16 PM »

Does anyone have any ideas for reducing fuel pump noise.  I have a 97 Isuzu Rodeo with a High Sierra HS1500 antenna and an Alinco DX70.  I get a terrible S8 noise on 20 meters, and a slightly less S5 noise on 40 meters, but hardly any noise on 75 meters.  I will welcome any suggestions.  Thanks.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2001, 07:22:25 PM »

How do you know it's fuel pump noise?

WB2WIK/6
N3UJV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2001, 09:45:39 PM »

Steve,
I am pretty sure it is the electric fuel pump, because when I turn the key to the on position, the noise appears, then after a few seconds, it disappears.  I don't think it is ignition, because at this point the motor is not running yet.  The antenna is located on the spare tire carrier, at the rear of the vehicle. I have a ground strap going from the ground stud on the antenna mount to the frame, then another one from the body to the frame.  I also have a ground stap going from the frame to the exhaust system, and one from the hood to the body of the truck.  If I take the antenna off of the mount, the noise dissappears totally.  The fuel pump is the only thing that I think it could be, but I am up for any suggestions that you might have.  What is discouraging, is the fact that when I turn on the noise blanker of the Alinco DX70TH, the noise level will drop down to S1 or S2, but SSB is now garbled, and is hard to understand.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2001, 12:19:01 AM »

It sounds to me like you have two problems. Turning on a NB should not distort the SSB signal to the point they are unintelligible. It shouldn't affect SSB signals at all. I'd call Alinco about that. As far as the fuel pump, I'd also ask the auto maker about that. They may have a fix for it or replace it. If it is affecting your radio with RF, it may be covered under FCC rules about unwanted transmissions. I think they would not like that much since it may be affecting other radio services as well, either as you drive by or nearby. Its worth a shot. But be sure it is the pump first! Good Luck.
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: