Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation in a Mazda Miata / MX5 /Eunos  (Read 777 times)
G8OSN

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2001, 08:09:16 AM »

Hi,

Anyone done a successful rig install in a Mazda Miata (US), MX5 (UK) , Eunos and can share details, please?

Brian
G8OSN
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2001, 07:33:19 AM »

Your joking right? You drive a MX5 for sure, it is not a crusier. I have laid my two meter on the seat and used a mag mount on the windscreen, but to really
install a station forget it. This just isn't the car to go play radio in..just my opinion and I have owned
my MX5 since 95..
G8OSN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2001, 09:39:58 AM »

Hmm! Not a car to play radio in?

I have to ask why not?

Ok, maybe not a full blown multiband station, but a 2m / 70cm  set up to liven up the drive to work would be nice.

Thing is, we Brits tend not to 'cruise' ;-)

Brian
KG4GVQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2001, 07:03:29 PM »

I haven't installed a radio in a Miata, but have owned two of them ('91 and a '94) and have installed many radios is tight spaces.  My suggestion would be to mount a 1/4 wave 2 meter antenna (or dual band) to the trunk lip, route the cable through the trunk and in to the cabin behind the rear seats.  You could mount a Yaesu FT-90 either under or behind one of the seats, and remotely mount the control head on the center console or dash.  

Greg
KE4DM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2001, 12:10:18 PM »

I'm in the process of setting up to run 2m and 10m in my miata.  What I plan to do is use mag mount antennas on the trunk lid (will probably add ground strap to the underside) and install the radios in a large briefcase which will sit on the passenger seat when I'm operating and will go in trunk when its parked (never leave anything in the passenger compartment of a convertible that you can't afford to lose!).
K9LZJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2001, 11:24:54 AM »

I have a 2000 Miata, and have installed a remote head
dual band Kenwood radio.  Used velco to attached the control
head right in front of the stick.  Used the piano wire dual band antenna by MFJ.  Rig is in the trunk, attached directly to the battery.  Mike lives in the glove box, and I just open it when I want to make a contact.  It seems to work great, and it is nice to
monitor the wx band to know when the top needs to go
up, and monitor the local repeaters.  Great little car.

Hank,

K9LZJ - Greenfield, IN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: