Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to buy a FT-100 now?  (Read 490 times)
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2000, 09:14:21 PM »

Im referring to the basic model which is now on clearence sale.  
HRO500

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2001, 03:43:23 PM »

Most likely yes.  The early problems were worked out in the first year or less.  Just call the company and ask.  Get the company to tell you the serial numbering for 2000 and 2001 units.

FYI:  Don't always rely on ham to ham word of mouth.  Spend a few cents and go direct, then compair to what you here via the grape vine.  Lots of people have an ax to grind on certian companies and or rigs.

I owned a Ft-100.  Got it new about 1 month after they came out.  Never a problem.  Really liked the rig but for one thing.  You really can not put another mic on it.  I belive now they have come out with an adapter. Its not just as simple as puttng a new connector on another mic. Componet changes needed.  The hand mic worked well though.  

Now have a Icom 706 MK2 G.....  The early ones, original and MK2, both were just so-so.  The MK2 G is much better, and I would be hard pressed to pick the better of the two rigs.  Both have features that are better than the other,  so its a wash.

I have heard no real problems or gripes about the later FT-100.  Just one thing.  DO NOT, if running mobile, turn off the eng. with the rig left on, and then go and start up the eng, again.  This is where many of the problems ocurred with the FT-100.  The company has added parts to the rig to help with the poblem.  BUT in general, never leave the power switch on, on any rig, and then go and start up the eng.

Good luck, either the Icom or Yaesu will do a good job for you.  Their both basic rigs, and will not beat out a FT-1000D or the likes, but will give you lots of fun and good service.
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2001, 08:40:28 AM »

If you could find a FT100 that sounds good on SSB let me know. I have been watching and listening to the rig since it's birth and the transmit audio is poor to say the least. It's a world apart from the TS 50 and the Icom 706(all). Transmit audio is a big part of mobile success and effective communications audio is lacking in the FT100.
My opinion  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: