Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Screwdriver antennas  (Read 2009 times)
N8EXF

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2000, 12:36:13 PM »

I am thinking about building a screwdriver antenna using Don - W6AAQ's book. I am looking for screwdriver antenna builders. I have some questions:) Don calls for a T160-2 toroid and 14 turns of #17 wire. I can only find a T200-2 and #18 magnet wire locally. Since the T200 is larger, will I need to decrease the number of turns???
If you built the antenna, how do you terminate the bottom of the mast?
I discovered in my pile of STUFF around here, a 36 inch piece of 2 inch COPPER water pipe. I picked up some finger stock at the Hamvention. I need to get a spool of #16 Belden copper wire from the local supply house. I have a spare cordless drill... looks like I'm all set. Now to find someone to put grooves in the PVC for me:)
Bob
KA3VVV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2000, 02:29:41 AM »

If you don't have all the part you can get them from Don johnson . His phone # is 530-787-3905. Don will help you. he a very nice person gve him a call.
KA3VVV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2000, 02:31:59 AM »

He also sale the ant compelt $150.00 or you can get in a kit for $100.00 all the part.
AD1C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2000, 09:47:04 PM »

W7CQ/M is using one for RTTY on his mobile camper in North Dakota.  I worked him last night with a good signal.
KE7CW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2000, 11:02:22 PM »

hi,  Saw your note and I am in the process of building this type of antenna also.  I don't have a clue as to how to mount this antenna to my truck yet.  Perhaps by using PVC at the bottom like a screw on cap.  I have not tried to figure out how to keep the coil running up and down the copper tube straight yet.  But first things first.  I am not sure that the PVC cap will be strong enough.

I am impressed with the performacne as I hear a guy on from ST. Louis area and he comes in here like gang-busters in the Ann Arbor ares.

Any Help or Ideas would be appreaciated.  

I was working in my 94 Ford 150 pickup and got a new 2000 extended cab and have not drilled a hole yet.  XYL not to happy about that and may not say anything, but who knows

72' & 73  John KE7CW
KT4WI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2000, 05:47:32 AM »

In reference to finding  a good wire to wind screwdriver coils with I have  been using
an alloy wire 1.2mm ER5356 that is a welding wire for a tig machine.It comes in 1 lb .
rolls and is easily found at most welding supply shops.Its  an aluminum alloy welding
 wire  but is really tough.I have had a coil made with it on my car for over 2 years.
              Regards Sam
N6MAI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2000, 01:19:30 PM »

I recently picked up Don's (W6AAQ) most current model of mobile antenna. It works great, and this version has no toroid! The base of the antenna is *GROUNDED*, with a coil turned into the base coming up a few inches. The coax feed goes across the coil. If necesary, you can adjust the tap point by inserting screws, shorting a turn. I didn't need to. It worked out great on 75 and 40, and above 8 mhz, the coil is invisible to rf, where we don't need it anyway. Don calls the newer model, the DK3z (z for z-match) He also taught me something else. Throw away the SWR and reflected power meters! I now use a combination of a field strength meter and the power output meter on the tranceiver. The field strength meter is small, and lays in the left corner, on top of the dashboard. It works great. Just adjust the antenna for max field strength (resonance) You will also see the rig come up to full power at this point. I'm currently using a commercial field strength meter, but Don has plans in his books for building one. Real simple! Bear in mind that Don invented these things, and has been doing this stuff for a *long* time. He knows what he's doing. I personnaly boycott other brands that don't credit Don with the design. (it's a conscience thing) 73 de N6MAI
KF6RMW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2001, 01:44:26 PM »

Don recommends a specific type of bracket for trucks, but there is another options.

If you go to your local hardware store, look for an L shaped piece of aluminum/steel that's at least 4" in width per side. You can drill this and mount the antenna directly on it. This is what I use for my dk3.

Take a look at the pictures:

http://www.best.com/~melodyy/hamradio/pics/dk3

Note that in reality you probably don't need the guywires, but as my bf says, I'm just paranoid. Smiley

Mel
KF6RMW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2001, 01:46:31 PM »

Do you have pictures of this new antenna? The reason I ask is my dk3 came out before this new one, but it's an experimental antenna. I was just wondering if mine is anything like yours. Smiley
KA3VVV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2001, 10:08:43 PM »

do you get any mobile noise from your ford fule pump.ford had been know for that .I would like to get a ford f150 pickup but i would like to know about thw mobile noise that come from the fule pump. I have freind with this problem with his truck . Ford put the the filter on but it only last 5000 miles.thank you
N2WLH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2002, 06:26:28 PM »

Anthony, I have a ’94 Ford F-150 and just after get it in '95 I called the dealer and asked him about this problem. He told me that I would have to run the tanks as close to empty and bring it in to the service department. It seems that there is a service bulletin that Ford has issued that allows the dealers to remove the existing pumps and replace them with other pumps. They did this for me free of charge. It seems that there is a filter that has been added to the new pump assembly. I believe he mentioned something about this being a fleet service problem. Either way check with you local Ford dealer  ……  maybe two or three until you get the correct answer.
Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: