Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUV Mounts  (Read 671 times)
WD8CRT

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2001, 06:40:20 PM »

I have a leased, 4 door, 2000 Ford Explorer (with tire upgrades!) and can't punch holes in it... but would like to use other than a mag-mount for 2 Meter Diamond antenna and maybe a Hamstick.

If this had a trailer hitch I would have that to use.

What's out there?

Neil
K1SJC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2001, 08:41:51 PM »

Hi,

I have a '97 Explorer, and while not leased or new, I didn't want to punch holes it either.  I have 2 antennas - Yaesu ATAS100 and a Diamond SG7900 - both on Diamond K400C lip mounts.  The mounts work great, as both antennas are long/heavy.  Both of the mounts are located on the driver side with the 2 meter at the rear, located on the side of the lift gate - about 6 inches below the roofline.  The ATAS100 is mounted on the hood adjacent to the fender, but close the windshield.  Neither location interferes with opening and closing (normal use); just a little extra care when closing (minimizes shaking of the antenna) is all that is needed.  Since you are using only the 2M antenna, assuming it is of a foldover type, I suggest using the rear location like I did; for two reasons 1) maximizing the distance between vehicle occupants and the antenna and 2) more height (less reflected power).  I chose a point 6 inches below the roofline because that was the point that when the foldover feature was used, the antenna would rest on the roof rack - relieving the stress from the antenna spring.  'Hope this helps!

Steve  
WD8CRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2001, 09:42:17 PM »

Thanks...
I will likely set the 2M antenna on the front... use the back for a hamstick.

Diamond (and others) would do well to post more photos in their gallery of their mounts on various autos and SUV's.

I was looking at that mount... but wanted to hear from users before walking out of the store with something which may need to be returned if it doesn't fill the bill

Tnx
Neil
KG4PJI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2002, 10:57:52 PM »

If its not to late check out the MFJ mounts. They are very nice as well and are half the price. Other than that I have nothing to add.
KG4PJI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: