Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom Antenna Tuner in a Car  (Read 572 times)
WB0DMA

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2001, 02:08:39 PM »

Has anyone out there used the ICOM mobile tuner and not used the Icom antenna?  I have a IC-706.

What size of whip would you need for 20-6 meters?

Are other better solutions than purchasing the tuner?
WD0GSQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2001, 04:10:26 PM »

I am currently using a Icom AH-4 tuner with a 40M Hamstick. This tunes 80 thru 10, haven't tried 6M.
If you just want to use a simple whip try a 9ft. whip from Radio Shack. I think the Icom Ant. is WAY overpriced.
WB0DMA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2001, 05:26:03 PM »

Thank you for the suggestion.  I noticed that the icom tuner you recommended had a 5 out of 5 rating here on eham.
N0RU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2001, 03:52:28 PM »

I can highly recoomend the AH-4 tuner.
Currently using the 706G with a RS 9ft fiberglass
whip. The tuner is mounted in the bed of the truck with 4ft of feedline. The system tunes 40-6 with no problem. It will tune 80 with a vswr of 2.5.1, but I do not have any intentions of using it on 80.
I did have to install a coax RF choke on the input of the tuner to get 20/17 to behave.
I wanted a simple, stealthy setup in my new truck and the AH-4 allows this. I have an assortment of mobile antennas, some may work better than this, but for my needs this is tough to beat. I have worked DX with relative ease and stateside has been S-9 always.

Enjoy,

Robb...N0RU
KB6RSY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2001, 02:31:04 PM »

I use the tuner with a 102" SS whip mounted on a receiver hitch. The tuner is mounted underneath the vehicle. Even though the case is watertight, I smeared RTV silicon gasket material along the joints and where the wires enter and exit just to be sure.  Tunes 80 thru 6, however 80 has lower performance as you can imagine.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2002, 10:11:46 AM »

I have an AH4 mounted in the left quarter panel space just behind the wheel well on my 1998 Mercury Mystique. It feeds a 1:4 unun which is attached to the inside of the ball mount. The antenna is a Texas Bug Catcher with 3 foot bottom mast, 20 meter loading coil, and 8 foot top whip. It easily covers 40 thru 6 meters. I use the unun because the measured input of the antenna is 13 ohms on 20 meters, the band I use most.

The only problem I have with the set up is static noise on the higher bands (easily handled by the noise blanker), and ignition noise on 10 meters during heavy acceleration.

I mounted the rig under the package shelf, and I caution anyone doing this for this reason: If you leave the rig on in hot weather, the cooling fan will come on and will run the battery down sooner or later. It's fine while under way as the air duct holes to the trunk are just above the heat sink.

Good Luck with your's.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: