Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamsticks Vs. Hustler Resonators on 75, 40 and 20  (Read 1533 times)
KE4SKY

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2002, 09:24:24 AM »

I have been using Hamsticks on quick disconnects on a roof-mounted Hustler ballmount on my 1984 Jeep Cherokee.  I have been very pleased with their performance, and have no trouble being heard on our Virginia 75m nets, the RV net or ECARS on 40 and have made some good DX contacts on 20.  My rig is a Yaesu FT900CAT, and I use the Am-Com ClearSpeech DSP speaker.

In search of an arrangement where I wouldn't have to change antennas as frequently I recently purchased  Hustler Super Resonators for 20, 40 and 75.  These are mounted using Hustler's tri-band adapter plate on the short MO-4 masts, equipped with a quick disconnect on the same roof ball mount.  

I had no trouble tuning the resonators to obtain good VSWR with the MFJ-269, but the Super resonators have less bandwidth than the hamsticks, and almost an S-unit lower on receive.  In very limited side-by-side comparisons so far I seem to have to repeat my call or get a relay to be heard, which I NEVER needed to do with the hamsticks!

My tests so far are way too preliminary to make any firm judgement, and I'm not about to take them to a hamfest yet.  I'd like to hear from other mobile HF'ers who have used both the hamsticks and Hustler mobile HF antennas.  If any East Coast stations would like to set up skeds for antenna comparisons I'd be very interested.

My impression is that hamsticks perform much better and I'm not sure that the convenience of not having to get out of the vehicle to change antennas with band conditions over the course of the day offsets the impaired performance of the Hustlers.  The Hustler resonators may indeed work better on a longer roof-mounted mast than the MO-4, but that is not an option for me.  I must have reasonable overhead clearance.  The flexibility of the hamsticks provides that and they are very forgiving with urban drive-through bank windows as well as tree bashing and foliage WV country roads!  Any observations or comments?

KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2002, 01:05:37 PM »

Lunchtime test today on ECARS and MIDCARS has the Hustler -10dB down from the hamsticks on 40 meters.

Your mileage may vary, but I'd love to hear...
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2002, 01:05:59 PM »

Lunchtime test today on ECARS and MIDCARS has the Hustler -10dB down from the hamsticks on 40 meters.

Your mileage may vary, but I'd love to hear...
W3GEO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2002, 05:49:14 PM »

Hello,

I use an old Hustler that I purchased used in 1965 and it has always performed well for me. I sometimes run the 40 meter Century Club net from the mobile and am consistantly amazed as to how well it does perform. However,I am tempted to try the Hamstick as a Screwdriver or a Texas Bug Catcher is out of the question for my installation. I am considering Hamsticks because of the good reviews they get, or maybe the Valor version, which is about a foot longer, and may purchase several of each and see for myself if they out-perform the Hustler.

From my experience with the Hustler, having used both types of resonators, the standard resonators work better than the Super resonator. I have read that the Super resonators have a lower Q that the standard ones and as such are not as effecient, although they have a wider bandwith. The only advantage to the Super resonator is that it can handle higher power. Hustlers are also sensitive as to how they are mounted. I run the 3 resonator adaptor and have found that if the resonators overhang the roof of the vehicle within about 2-3 feet, performance suffers.  Of course these antennas on 75 and to some extent on 40 are close to leaky dummy loads in performance. I understand the the Bug Catcher and some of the Screwdrivers more than double the effeciency of the Hustler / Hamstick tpes.

George
W3GEO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: