Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which HF/Mobile rig for Volvo 740 Sedan...  (Read 387 times)
KG4RQP

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2002, 03:02:49 AM »

A question...
I am active on VHF&UHF mobile and I would like to also become active on HF when I upgrade my ticket.  I predominately run "/Mobile" and I have been looking at the Yaesu FT-817.  However, the rig is QRP only at 5W.  I am likely to be mainly using HF/SSB (as I do not have a good place for a key) & VHF/UHF mobile to check in on the local repeaters.  I would also like to be able to take the radio in the house (ala HT) and use it on a dipole with a tuner.  Here's the quandary, Will a Yaesu FT-817 be effective using SSB on CON US DX as well as possible overseas DX? or am I just wishing?  Also, I am looking at the Icom IC-706 MkIIG but the FT-817 is cheaper.  Does any one have experience with both of these radios "/mobile" ? Any help and/or recommendations would be great.

Thanks !!!

KG4RQP
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2002, 09:15:28 AM »

You have a wide range of mobile choices. Icom 706mkiiG, Yaesu 100D, Kenwood ts-50, Alinco dx-70..
THe icom, yaesu offer 160-440  coverages, The Alinco 160-6 and the ts50 160-10.

The Icom and Yaesu and Alinco offer remote heads so they are better choices where space is an issue.
The Icom and Yaesu are more refined products. The Alinco started the micro HF rigs and has not been updated much, The ts50 has had little change in a number of years and is due for one.

Between the 706 and the 100D I think its pretty much a toss up. I personally like the Icom, I have both the Icom 706 and 706mkiig models. Each have there quirks and each have there plusses and minus.
If you dont need 80m mobile coverage then the yaesu 100D with the ATAS 100 antenna make a nice small mobile HF package. The Icom with a wide range of antennas also makes a nice package.

The Yaesu 817 while small I dont feel makes a good HF mobile package. QRP is fun, but is a chalange.
If your goal is to operate QRP mobile then the 817 will work, but You can also do that with the other radio's by turning back the power levels.  There is about a $200 differance between the 706mkiiG and the 817. Ill pay the 200, turn the power down for qrp and turn it up when its needed.

Gary
KG4RQP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2002, 07:00:24 AM »

Thanks Gary, I appreciate the feedback.  I feel the same way.  QRP is fun, but reliable commo is likely to be better achieved with the extra power.  Now all I need is to pay for the sucker !!! ;>}
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: