Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise in HF Windstar installation  (Read 339 times)
K8AC

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2002, 11:46:10 AM »

Just completed my first mobile HF installation in my 95 Ford Windstar.  I expected ignition noise to be my biggest problem, but that's not as bad as expected, and my FT-900 noise blanker pretty much suppresses that.  The most noticeable problem is discrete signals across the 17 meter band - one of them is rather clean and stable, sounding like a good carrier.  I suspect this is emanating from the car computer.  I've followed the basic installation tips - heavy Pos and Neg leads direct to the battery (both fused), short ground strap on rig to a seat bolt, good ground on my roof mounted Hamstick (to luggage rack bolts).  I've not tried moving the antenna back farther on the car due to the irregular shape of the roof panel and the mag mount being used.  The antenna is currently just above the front seats.  I'm researching the general RFI articles on the web, but wonder if anyone else has done an installation in a Windstar of this vintage and solved the problem(s).  Any and all advice appreciated.  
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2002, 04:04:59 PM »

Since my first post, I've verified that all of the noise is entering via radiation to the antenna.  Removal of the antenna connector eliminates 100% of the problem.  
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2002, 12:42:29 AM »

This may sound dumb, but are you doing this while parked in the same place each time? If so, maybe going to another location will clear it up and tell you that there is a problem where you are. Just a thought.
Frank
KL7IPV
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2002, 06:10:17 PM »

No - the noise is always there no matter where we are.  Luckily, the several discrete signals that I hear when the ignition switch is on, but the engine is not running, disappear when the engine is started, but are replaced by broad noisey signals.  Most of them are down quite a bit, giving me a noise level of S1 on the meter of the FT-900.  I switched to 20 meters and heard none of the trash on that band.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: