Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF in a big rig  (Read 408 times)
K6IPF

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2002, 04:19:27 PM »

Anyone on here running HF in a big rig?? Just put an Icom 706 in my Kenworth.  Installation
went well with ham sticks for the antenna system..  What I'd like to find out is, the things you ran into that you had to do over or would do different the next time...How about length of just what type of coax
did you use and things like that..I think this would help others as well as myself.....
Well take care and hope to work you somewhere down the highways....73..Pete/k6ipf
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2002, 08:20:12 AM »

I don't drive a big rig, but I've done a number of installs in off-road vehicles and learned a few things the hard way.  I also have several ham friends on ECARS who are over-the-road drivers.  Along the East Coast you will be welcome on 7255, once you get into the 8th call area try MIDCARS on 7258.

The most important thing they stress is that all coax and power cord runs must be secured against vibration, protected from oil and water and be well waterproofed. If the DC power leads from the rig to the battery must be extended longer than the factory supplied power cord, any cable run longer than 15 feet should be replaced in its entirely with AWG10 wire, if you must go over 20 feet, use AWG8.

Avoid use of RG58 coax as antenna feedline if you can.  RG8-X is far better and mil-spec RG213 with Type II jacket is not going overboard.

A good HF mobile web page which was very helpful for me when i was starting out is www.k2bj.com

N4DFP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2002, 02:08:52 AM »

I have run a couple of Big Rig setups. One was a Swan 100MX using a Valor AB-5 in a Freightliner Cabover. It worked very well, but the vibration caused ALL of the set screws to vibrate out of the Antenna. Next time? LOC-Tite!!!!

My next set up was a Patcomm PC-500 QRP rig with a DK-3 type screwdriver in a Freightliner Century. Believe it or not, even at the relatively low power (15WPEP), grounding was a major problem. My best mounting arrangement for this antenna seemed to be on the step of the truck.

I am going to try this setup again in my Freightliner FLD Classic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: