Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATAS 100 system with FT100D.Help needed  (Read 541 times)
WS4V

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2002, 05:00:44 PM »

Hello to all! I am interested in setting up a Yaesu FT100D in my truck and would like to go with the ATAS 100 system.
A couple questions:
1. I understand the Diamond K400 mount works well for truck lip mounting (SUVs and trucks). But the ATAS 100 weight looks to heavy for the K400. Can anyone vouch for the K400's performance.
2. How does the ATAS 100 end terminate? Is it 3/8 treads? When ordering the Diamond K400 mount is there a special type needed or is it just stricly the K400 mount to order with coax attached?
3. How well does the ATAS 100 system work? I'd like to mount the antenna to the back bottom part of my SUV hatchback area so I can still drive the vehicle in my garage. Would this be advisable..or should it be mounted as high as possible?
4. Does anyone know if the ATAS 100 would work with any of Yaesu's older rigs with the ATU unit like the Yaesu FT 900CAT? Or..is it stricly with the 100D and 847?
Any or all info. I could get on the ATAS 100 and FT 100D combination would be much appreciated.
Tnx and 73!

Rob, ws4v
WF6O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2002, 10:26:35 PM »

I've had the ATAS 100 for a couple of years, and it's performance is mediocre. When I first installed it (it mounts on a PL259 type connector) I kept the coax to a short run of about 6 feet. I couldn't get it to tune on 10 or 15 Meters, but a good solid tune on 20 Meters. The antenna is designed for the FT-100 or the FT-847 and is not compatible with older Yaesu rigs.
Mine is mounted on a home-built bracket that mounts between the hood and fender on my 2000 Dodge Dakota. For the connection, I used a PL-259 barrel connector to mount the coax on the bottom, the connector through the home-made bracket and the antenna on the top of the connector. I ran some RG-8 shield from the bracket to the frame of the truck.
But, I have since acquired a High Sierra HS-1600 screwdriver that mounts on the trailer hitch. The only time I use the ATAS 100 is when I have my cab-over camper on the truck, or I'm pulling my travel trailer. I'm selling the camper, so I plan on mounting the HS-1600 inside the bed, permanently, and getting rid of the ATAS-100.
The ATAS is a good light weight antenna, but the HS-1600 outperforms the ATAS-100 by a long shot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: