Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC2100 mounting in 1999Saturn  (Read 455 times)
N8ZHY

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2002, 01:07:54 PM »

I have a 1999 Saturn and have purchased a new IC2100. I can't find a location to mount it other than on the dash (in the sun), the car has a center consol and floor shift. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Bill N8ZHY
K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2002, 03:10:01 AM »

I have a '98 Honda Accord and I installed a 2100H in the dash, below the stock AM/FM/cass radio.  It's actually slipped in the space, so it can be removed in a minute to be used in my other vehicle or base station.  There was a blank plastic cubby below the radio that was used to fill the space when a CD player wasn't installed.  I removed the small box and cut most of it up (left the sides) and reinstalled it.  The sides act as guides and hold the 2100H from moving laterally.  An L-bracket keeps the radio from slipping too deeply in the hole.  Many people install small VHF rigs vertically on one side of the center console, forward of the gearshift.  I find this orientation makes the radio more difficult to read and operate, though.  In any case, be prepared to cut the console or dash parts for a good installation.
KB3GZA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2002, 12:50:10 PM »

I have a subaru outback sport and I simply did the quick and dirty mount. Shoved the radio vertically between the center console and the passenger seat. The radio speaker if fully exposed above the console and 1/3 the top side is also clear for cooling. I however do not run at high power with very few exceptions. The radio is usually warmer from sitting in a hot car than from dissapating heat from transmitting. Its not the best mount for everybody but right now its a good, clean, stable mount that puts the radio right where its most comfortable to operate. And people have even readjusted the seat without interfering with the radio or even causing it to shift.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: