Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeep People Help!! How to mount on Jeep Liberty!?  (Read 340 times)
KG4UZF

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2002, 07:45:10 PM »

Hi All,

I just got my ticket today (Yea!) and I am excited to get a mobile in the car (I am currently using a handheld).

I have scoured the web looking for info on antenna mounts for the Liberty (KJ) but have struck out.  Has anyone done this?  I have no problem with a permanent mount as long as it looks good.  The bumpers have plastic covers with steel under them and due to the way the gate opens, I can't use a ball mount or a rear tire mount.  I'd probably have to put the mount over the left taillight....  I'd rather not drill into the roof for fear of really messing up the car....

Thanks for the help in advance!

-- Geb --
KG4UZF
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2002, 09:15:41 AM »

It depends upon which BAND you want to work. VHF/UHF antennas are easier to mount than HF ones.

Personally, I prefer mounting HF antennas on ball mounts as high as possible to minimize ground losses.

As for VHF/UHF, if you don't want to drill holes, then look at either a window mount or mag mount and accept the loss they add.

Alan, KØBG

N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2002, 09:42:14 AM »

Contact KK80, He just got a liberty and came up with a nice mount for UHF and VHF. His email is valid on qrz.com lookup.
K2CMB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 11:13:28 AM »

I've had good luck with the Diamond k400c on the hatch of my Grand Cherokee.  I use that for my 10/6/2m antenna which is 55-60 inches tall.  On problem is grounding- the antenna performs well, has a good SWR, but RF causes my rear wiper to wipe when I transmit more than 70 watts.

I also have a ball mount on the rear passenger side (above the wheel well)- works great with the Iron Horse whips.
N1MI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2002, 10:13:35 PM »

I've also got a Liberty.

For VHF/UHF, I went with a NMO mount about 6-8" in front of the third (upper) brake light. I needed to get a mount with a long (about 2-3") threaded shaft which mounts in a 3/8"(?) hole. I found it at Lentini Communications in Newington, CT.

For HF, I fabricated a simple bracket and mounted it below the tow hitch. The antenna comes up along the left rear corner of the Jeep. I'm using an Icom AH4 tuner mounted to the bottom of the bracket with an Icom 706MkIIG. I've tried it with the SGC303 whip and a 102" CB whip. Both tune up fine from 75M-6M, but I'm sure the CB whip is a real compromise on 75M.

Mark N1MI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: