Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Mounting Outback on 99 Grand Cherokee  (Read 1175 times)
AA2YG

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2003, 12:34:27 PM »

I am installing a 706 into my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I am interested in having a welder weld an offset onto my tow hitch and offset it to the drivers side of the vehicle to asccomodate the rear hatch to open.  The only problem I can see is that part of the antenna will be pretty close to the jeep to the roof line.  Will this effect operation drastically?  A roof mount is out.  I want a neat clean appearance so the YL doesnt have a fit hi hi.  Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.  I am looking into either the perth plus or the junior outback antennas.

Jeff Verry AA2YG
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 12:53:17 PM »

The most important part of a mobile antenna installation is to keep the coil as far away from the body as possible. This is nearly impossible with an Outbacker because it is linearly loaded.

Aside from being hard to tune, this added capacitance will degrade performance in an antenna already inefficent due to its design.

Your only alternative is to mount the antenna further away from the vehicle or use a ball mount.

Alan, KØBG

WB4ILP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 09:02:32 PM »

Jeff,
As the previous post stated, the Outbacker (any model) will be de-tuned by being so close to the vehicle's body.  I have talked with numerous amateurs who have learned this the hard way.  Seems that if you get the antenna 18" to 24" from the vehicle the effect seems to clear up, however, putting the antenna on the roof is a much better option providing very good performance.  Also, with the Stealth Plus (Jr. Plus) being so short (48"), it is not a bad looking installation on the roof and might be accepted by the YL.  In fact it might look a little better than the longer antenna on the side and will certainly perform much better.  If you opt for the lower mounting, move the antenna as far from any metallic body part as possible and also, it might help to tilt the antenna away from the vehicle at a slight angle.
Good Luck !
Jim / WB4ILP
Alpha Delta Comm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: