Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone heard of the New Motorola GP2000?  (Read 458 times)
WWJD

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2002, 09:23:39 PM »

Anyone heard or have tried this unit? I saw this in the Asia PAcific site of Motorola. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 09:33:55 AM »

The GP 2000 (General Purpose) is a synthesized business-band radio. It covers from 135 to 174, 403 to 440, and 440 to 475 depending upon model. It is NOT type accepted for use here in the US on ANY band! Although its cost is reasonable for a business-band radio, it is easily twice as much as a good dual-band amateur unit. As my friends back east say, Forget About It!

If you really want to drool, find yourself a copy of CQ, the Japanese QST. A lot of the ads are in english, the rest you can figure out on your own. The Japanese market for amateur gear is several times larger than ours, and they have stuff you won't believe. One recent article covered a voice controlled 50/144/220/440 handheld. Try that on for size!

Alan, KØBG

WWJD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 12:30:44 PM »

Thanks very much!! =)
WWOO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2002, 09:14:28 PM »

I received my gp2000 a few days ago. cost was about $335. Very nice... It will do way too much to list here.  "It does everything."  99 channels, looks a bit and feels a bit like a Motorola Visar.  Only problem is that it is a bit too easy to accidently hit the "tx" button.  Programming is a bit difficult until you "get it" and then it gets quite easy.  If you like your gp68 or 63, but could use a few more channels, it is worth it for fun.  Don't listen to these mopes, get one, have fun and enjoy it.  " GET ONE!!
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 10:59:08 AM »

I have both a VHF and a UHF version of the GP-2000. I dont know where the other fellow bought his but I paid $250 for the UHF brand new with a rapid charger and $214 for the VHF with a standard rate charger

They are WAY better at rejecting intermod than any hamband HT. Since they are Not type accepted they cant be used in the US on commercial bands but are just fine on hambands. I dont know how the one fellow can say they cost way more than a dual band HT if you figure the better specs. I also have the software and programming cable forthese radios although you dont need it as they are keypad programmable.

I think some folks need to look a bit harder at the specs and usability of these radios before they say they are not worth buying. I love mine. I even sold my VX-5R after getting these radios. And I loved the VX-5R!!!

IMHO of course.

Dan/NØFPE
WPVA215

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2003, 02:43:00 AM »

K0BG:

Seen any of them UFO's out there in Roswell?  I paid $199.99 for mine on eBay with a standard charger.  I used to work for Circuit Assembly Corp. as senior engineer back in the mid 1980's, and we manufactured a lot of high-end electromechanical packaging for Motorola.  We also did a lot of stuff for Harris RF that ended up in the Space Shuttle, but Motorola was the ONLY company that ever sent their own QC guys into my lab occasionally to do things like microscopic acid porosity analysis of gold plated beryllium copper contacts and such.  Motorola makes great radios and the GP2000 is exceptional, even though I can’t use it here in the states. ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: