Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 meter mobile mast  (Read 692 times)
MARKJ

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2003, 09:36:10 AM »

Less-than-year-licensed ham here. Everyone's always been a big help here, so I'll throw another one at you! Thanks in advance.....

I have an FT-1500 in my truck and have been running a diamond NR770HB 1/2 wave off the rear corner of the bed. I've been satisfied with the results I've been getting, but, being a truck, I do need to haul things in it, and I've nearly destroyed the antenna more than once lately! So I've been wanting to move it. I *would* just punch the roof and stick it up there, but I have to deal with parking garages more often than I'd like. Originally that's why I picked this particular antenna -- it has a foldover. But I also have to deal with a ladder rack sometimes, the occasional canoe, etc. etc., so a permanent roof mount just isn't practical.

ANYWAY (I got much more long-winded than I meant) I was considering making a mast of square aluminum tubing that would elevate the antenna to roughly roof height, but build the mount to rotate the antenna down into the bed to get it out of the way when I need to. I stuck a sketch of the general idea at:

www.riverghost.com/mast.gif

This would allow me to use the foldover for parking garages and other quick irritations as well as a full fold down when necessary.

Thoughts, suggestions, anyone? I'm new at antenna mods, design, etc. of course, so do I need to have any kind of circular plate at the bottom of the antenna like I've seen on some mobile antennas? What other issues should I take into consideration?

Thanks again, and 73's....
Mark
KG4TUR
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 02:25:53 PM »

A run of the mill loaded 1/2 wave might work okay, but you'd be better off mounting a 5/8 wave antenna on a front fender where it isn't in you nominal sight path.

Alan, KØBG

KD7EVS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 12:47:24 AM »

I've experimented with this a bit. the square tubing with holes in it works great.   a hole or two below antenna you can homebrew 4 groundplane radials too. bout 19 inches folded down about 45 degrees or so. (key word: about) homebrew isn't a totally exact science. once you get what you think should work the real test is trying it. think, draw, build, try, rethink, rebuild, repeat.

good luck.
zeb
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 11:19:54 AM »

Comet and Diamond both make several excellent 5/8 wave dual band antennas with built in fold-over devices.

Considering the cost and effort of cobbing together a mount for a lesser performing antenna, I would say a new fold-over antenna in the middle of the roof is a better solution. Of course you DO have to remember to fold it over BEFORE you hist the garage entrance/door. Smiley

Just wait until you have FIVE antennas(including a High Sierra 1800 on a minivan. <gg>

Lon
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 11:25:37 AM »

Oops:

Missed the last paragraph about the laddrs and boats. belay my last.

New suggestion: mount the existing antenna on the left fender cowl, opposite where car radio antennas are normally mounted on the right.

Lon
KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 10:21:00 PM »

I used a trunk-lip mount on my hood, up near the windsheild.  It mounts on the left side, opposite the broadcast radio antenna.  It doesn't obstruct the view, and it doesn't hit much either.  I'm not sure raising the height of the antenna will work as well as moving it entirely out of harm's way.

My truck is a 94 nissan 4x4 ,and the 5/8 wave antenna I have mounted hits only a few overhead obstructions, (the height bar at the carwash) plus having it there right in front of you reminds you to fold it down when you need to!

good luck,

de KB9YNB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: