Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamond HV7a bumper mounted??  (Read 1086 times)
W1JCJ

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2003, 09:22:48 AM »

I own a FT8900 that I use in my truck, car and occasionally in the shack. I'm thinking about permanently installing it in the pickup truck and am looking at the HV7A antenna to cover 10-70cm. Although I love this rig and all its capabilities, I really use it primarily on 2M/70cm but want to experiment with all the other bands mobile. Problem is, I really dont want to drill any holes in the truck and think a bumper mount would be the most aesthetically pleasing option.

Aside from the positive reviews on eham, has anyone experienced this antenna in a bumper mount configuration? Any thoughts on this antenna or other options?  
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 03:56:15 PM »

A bumper-mounted antenna for 2m/70cm is probably not a good idea.  Since VHF/UHF is line-of-sight there simply isn't sufficient height for it to work properly.

I'm not sure what type of connector (PO, NMO, etc.) the HV7a uses but there are other solutions for putting it up higher.  For example an L-bracket installed in the hood gutter/front fender offers a pretty solid mount.  There are also mounts designed for the stake holes in the truck bed.  Either type should allow for sufficient clearance when parking in low-overhead areas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: