Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-2600M - Looses Pwr when Keyed  (Read 554 times)
W8KPH

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2003, 10:51:01 AM »

Recent intermittent issue with my 1 yr old FT-2600M mobile 2m rig.
On keying the mic, the rig powers off for about 8-10 seconds, then comes back on.

I will be checking the obvious such as the power connection and current/voltage. Also plan on converting the connector to the famed Anderson PowerPoles.

In the meanwhile, anyone have any comments or personal experience with this phenomonon? I'd like your comments before going to Yaesu.

W8KPH
Kevin Halloran
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 06:42:27 PM »

How's your SWR?

W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 10:11:59 PM »

You're barking at the right tree by looking at primary power connections.  Had a 706 installation did exactly the same thing.  The load under transmit was too much for the primary wiring I had installed - a bad connection somewhere, though I never found it for I replaced the entire primary wiring.  Presto - no more problem.  

Then, three or four months later, the problem returned but this time in the house, working off a 35 AMP power supply.  This time I did find it.  Loose Molex connector on back of the 706.  Worked fine on receive.  Hit the mic button and it died totally.  A few seconds later it would come back on -- on receive.  Recrimped the Molex pins and it has worked fine ever since (eight months now.)  

Sure, it could be something else.  But that is a fine place to start.  Hook a DVM to the power cable, at the back of the radio, and then measure the voltage during receive, and then as you hit the TX button.  If the voltage drops, you've found the problem.  If it does not drop, you may still have found the problem but you may have to measure at some point inside the radio as you may be measuring 'before' the bad connection.

Good luck.

Ed
KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 11:22:33 PM »

Check, double-check and  triple-check your connections.  If you're using the radio in the shack, make sure to check your power-supply's connection to the 120V power.  My power supply (an old rack mount HP 40V (variable) 25A !! :^) has a power cord that sometimes doesn't make good connection in the outlet.  When this happens, I get the same behavior you describe.

Good suggestion about checking the SWR as well.

This behavior can sometimes lead to the infamous 2600 "memory reset" problem as well, but they might have fixed that between the time I got my radio and you got yours.

in conclusion: Connections, connections connections!

73 de KB9YNB
W8KPH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 10:05:57 AM »

Well, over the weekend ( Hope all had a safe Memorial Day !) I cut out the Molex type connectors I had bought from Radio Shack.
These were replaced with Anderson PowerPole style connectors ( 30A Rating ) with the leads soldered into the terminals due to the gage of the lead wire ( 14AWG ).
During the remainder of the weekend and on this morning's net, no more power issues.
I did recheck my connections at the fuse block and chassis ground and they were good. Also looked (again) for a path through the firewall of my Taurus (front wheel drive) again to no avail. I'll have to put it up on the rack to get a better fix on a safe route. Then I'll hook up the power line directly to the battery or main engine compartment fuse block.
But, I'm still planning on checking the antenna ~ after all, it's been a year and no antenna is immune from 'personality' changes!

Thanks so much to all for reading and replying to my query!

( I do have programming software for the FT-2600 and when it suffers from memory loss, which is very infrequent, it only takes a few minutes to reload. )

Thanks Again !

W8KPH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: