Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ford Explorer HF antenna issues  (Read 430 times)
W4MIS

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2002, 02:18:20 AM »

Although I dont have my general license yet, I'm thinking about if it's possible to run HF mobile.  I've got a Ford Explorer and, due to my current situation, i can't really run a bug-catcher or similar big antenna...

Which leads me to my question.  Are there any less conspicious antenna ideas??  Or am i pretty much stuck w/ a 4ft. vertical w/ a 3" coil?  I've got a luggage rack if that helps.  I realize i'm asking teh impossible, but i figured if anybody had anything, i'd find it here.

Thanks
Russell
W4MIS
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 09:38:44 AM »

Well, it's sort of like race cars; there is no substitute for cubic inches, and a similar thing may be said about antennas.

Yes, you can use a very short antenna, but the performance will also be rather short. A lot of folks use helically wound fiberglass antennas like the Hamstick and Outbacker, and they swear by them. The fact is, only about 1 to 5 percent of the power is radiated depending upon the band in use.

The best way is to use a good quality antenna and a good quick disconnect, so you can remove the antenna when driving into your garage.

Alan, KØBG

W4CNG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2002, 06:26:10 PM »

If you are looking for small HF antennas, you need to stay at 20 meters and up.  I have a Ford Explorer and run a 3 mag mount antenna base on the right rear of the roof with ham sticks on each band.  I have run a 500watt Ameritron amp with this set-up with no RF issues.  You want the largest surface area (height) on HF that you can get.

Good luck
Steve W4CNG
WA6ODQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 12:34:24 AM »

I put a hitch mount on my receiver hitch, although the opening was not large enough for the ball to fit through, I snipped around it and welded it to a hitch at a right angle (to the passenger side) with a spring mount & quick disconnect.  Right now, I currently have a 10M vertical on it which shows 1.1:1 to 1.6:1 across the whole band using my MFJ-249 analyzer.  It extends to about 2 or 3 feet above the roof of my Explorer.  A not-so-recent picture of my setup can be found at http://www.IanThurston.com/radiogear.  I don't know how it works until I get my General, but it receives just fine.  Using the comet 6m/144/440 tri on the hatchback mount is great.  I made contact with Washington and Idaho from my driveway in the Bay Area, CA.

r/
-IanCT, WA6ODQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: