Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile antenna ideas  (Read 394 times)
KG4WOA

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2003, 08:00:22 AM »

Vehicle in question is a Chevrolet Impala, 85 model. Currently I am using an Opek VU-1501 antenna, 2m/70cm with a trunk lip mount, off to the passanger side of the trunk. This allows for no reflection off the body, and excellent SWR. My problem is this:
The antenna must be unscrewed each time I pull into the garage. I have been looking at Diamond and Larson antennas, and have found some that will fit the height requirement. They are around 36". I feel the placement of the antenna as mentioned above is ideal, although center mounting in the trunk lid may work just as well.
I tried mounting the antenna on the bumper with a steel bracket, the SWR's went up, I assume this was due to reflection off the bumper/rear panel.
Any experience with antennas that are 36", and trunk mounted? I am new to ham radio, still learning.   Alan  KG4WOA
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 08:54:06 AM »

The obvious "best" location (if there is such a thing) is in the middle of the top. Save that, the center of the trunk lid works well too.

My VHF/UHF dual band antenna is a Larsen with an NMO mount. It works as well as any.

As for the SWR, there are lots of factors to consider. Mounting any antenna close to the body and/or atop a poor groundplane is tandamount to raising the SWR.

Alan, KØBG

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 11:21:53 AM »

Why are you bound to a 5/8 wave (36") whip?  A quarter wave whip is much less expensive, more reliable and will fit in the middle of the trunk lid or even roof top and not hit overhanging objects.  The one-half or so S-unit (3dB) gain difference you won't even notice.  Not as likely to get sucked off in the car wash, either.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
k5lxp@arrl.net

JOESSOFT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 02:27:47 AM »

thanks for sharing..

joe oliver
houston, tx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: