Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna ideas needed for SAAB  (Read 305 times)
N4BRJ

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2003, 08:14:05 AM »

I'd like to put a 2m rig in my 97 SAAB 900 but I need some antenna ideas.
Here's what I'm running into.

1. Large moonroof that slides into the roof eliminates the possibility of a through-the-roof mount.

2. Almost zero clearance between the hatch and the body makes a trunk lip mount difficult but not impossible. However, I tried a piece of coax between the body and the hatch and sprayed the area with a garden hose.... yup... the coax didn't allow the hatch to seal when closed.

SO I'm considering a glass mount but all is not a bed of roses there either. Rear wiper sweeps most of the back glass except for the passenger side top corner which is very curved. Other locations on the back glass would interfere with the defroster grid. Windshield has a coating on the inside around the edge and extending inward an inch or so to block the sun in areas where the visors can't reach. I don't know if this coating is metallic or not, but it's slightly textured so I'm not sure if the inside half of the glass mount would adhere to it.

Ideas???

N4BRJ
Jon
Atlanta
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 09:16:18 AM »

Unless your Saab is different than others I have seen, A properly installed NMO mount will clear the moonroof. The only potential problem is the moonroof scraping the coax.

Your other alternative is to use a fender, but as I recall there isn't much room there either.

By the way, you'd be better off with a rubber ducky than a thru-the-glass type, and it should be selected as a last resort.

Alan, KØBG

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: