Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's a good scanner antenna?  (Read 414 times)
KG4JZG

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2003, 06:33:34 AM »

I've got a uniden bc-350a scanner (It's not the best scanner, but it works) and I currently have a mag-mount Radioshack antenna, and the antenna can't tune anything to save its life, so I'm in the market for another one.  Anyone know of a good one?  Thanks
KC0QNB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 11:37:41 AM »

Maxrad,AS and Antenex all carry "scanner antennas"
If your Radio shack antenna is not working, something is wrong it is the single most popular antenna out there, there is one other, one it looks wierd but works great, made by nil-jon, otherwise use a commercial type antenna for the band you are most interested in if that is the case, if it is several bands your are interested in you can multiplex several commercial antennas, "porcupine fever"
73 KC0QNB
N6PUO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 09:45:14 AM »

KG4JZG:

I have tried several scanner antennas in my vehicles & have found a simple (& cheap) way to go & it works as well or better than the store bought ones.  I bought a stainless steel bolt of the size & thread count that will screw into a CB whip type mount.  Had a machine shop drill a hole in the head of the bolt to fit a small diameter 36" whip & welded (brazed?) it in. Feed with 50 or 75 ohm coax.  Cheaper & works just as well.

Firestick makes a great line of mounts to fit any vehicle or situation.  Stainless or chrome plated.

Greg.....N6PUO
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 01:44:52 PM »

That's a decent antenna.  I bought an Austin -- a VERY good antenna -- some years ago and after fiddling with the mag-mount got it resonant at all the frequencies I wanted to hear. It didn't WORK much better than the RS one!

Sometimes improving the antenna makes reception **worse** if a strong, off-frequency local signal overloads and desensitizes the receiver. If reception gets better on a rubber-duck, or a foot and a half of wire, this may be the case. Adding an attenuator in line -- a RS TV attenuator with F-to-BNC fittings if you don't have any other -- can work a more permanent fix.

It is possible you have a bad antenna, of course. Also, that the coax the connection at or inside your receiver is defective, or even that you have a receive problem of another nature.

Good luck!

Cortland
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: