Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Yaesu ATAS-120 mobile antenna  (Read 999 times)
ZS5J

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2002, 06:33:27 AM »

I see Yaesu has brought out a new mobile HF/VHF/UHF
antenna - the ATAS-120 to replace the ATAS-100.
That figures why the ATAS-100 has been selling cheaply
lately.
Question: Anyone bought/seen/used one of these new
antenna's ? I believe they have done away with the rubber boot on top, in place of a plastic pipe that is
bigger in circumference than the lower section (so no
water gets in). Does anyone know of any other changes ? I am thinking of getting one next month, when I am in USA on vacation - my ATAS-100 died on me after 4 months use.
I have been scanning the net for pictures of the new one, but only came up with a couple of distant pictures of it. Perhaps someone could post some pics on the net for us to see. Im in Africa, so I cannot go down to the local ham shop to see one.
John  ZS5J  also  C91JK
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2002, 08:13:43 AM »

If you read this forum regularly, you'll know I'm not a fan of the ATAS even if they did improve it. It is too short, the coil Q is all but nonexistant, and the typical input impedance is around 60 to 75 ohms as compaired to the real world of around 25 to 35 ohms. The difference is loss!

You'd be a lot better off buying one of the variety of screwdriver antennas on the market, as any one them will out perform the ATAS by 15 to 20 db.  

Alan, KØBG

N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2002, 09:48:09 AM »

The big fix was to get rid of the bellows that gathered water and caused problems.
N6DXN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 12:37:06 AM »

I have had my ATAS for almost 2 yaers and never
a problem. Have worked 2 watts with a mag mount
worldwide with great reports comparable to the
other stations running full size screwdrivers.
I am a contractor and drive all over So.Ca.
without incident.

73  N6DXN
KF6VYH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2002, 10:08:33 AM »

I have had my ATAS 100 for about 8 months and the FT100 D. I have had very good results working mobile DX. In the FT100D book Yaesu mentions that the ATAS 100 may not work well on 12 or 17 meters. My first week I worked New Zealand, Greece, Litunia, and Sweaden on the same night, all on 17 meters. A few nights later I worked Tonga on 20 and Ant Artica, most these stations heared me on my first call. The ATAS will not tune on 75 or 160, I do not got on 80 but 3 time a year maybe, and less on 160 from home, so this was not an issue for me. As far as the ATAS120, From what I have seen, no radio gear should be purchased unless it's been around for at least 6 months. Every I know who has purchased gear when it has come onto the market has sent it back for repairs. I also choose the FT100D over the Icom because I being able to change bands with out getting out of the car is very important to me. I do not stay on any one band for mor than 10 minutes before trying another one, evan at home. BTW I just bought a new Nissan Frontier and found a spot for the FT 100D where the CD changer would go. This truck also had a spot in the dash the fit both my FT100D control head and my FT8100 control head.  Please excuse any typos. I spilled coffee on my ergonomic key board and I am having problems with the non ergonomic one key board I am stuck with for now
KB0ZUC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 07:12:49 PM »

I owned an ATAS-100 and used it mobile driving between Minnesota and Alabama on several trips. It performs ok on 20 meters and up.  I had some nice world wide qso's on 17 meters early this spring.  The antenna is a novelty on 40 meters, and almost useless on that band. The performance on 2 meters and 440 is not stellar either.  I believe that the 120 improved the rubber boot design which indeed collected water.  I also heard that it tunes faster.

These antennas are spendy for what you get.  If you want serious mobile performance, look into antennas like the Hi-Q stealth series.  They may seem more expensive at first, but after you are disappointed and buy the better screwdriver, you will be better of with the  Hi-Q or similar right from the start. Read their reviews on this web site.

The ATAS antennas are pleasing to the eye but not so pleasing in performance compared to a real screwdriver!

73, enjoy mobile!!

BJ
ZS5J

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 04:35:52 PM »

Thanks for all your replies. I ended up purchasing an ATAS 120 while on vacation in the USA. I installed it on my rental car, together with a new FT 100D. Drove with it from Chicago west thru to Los Angeles, then turned around and drove back to Chicago (big road trip in 2 weeks). I worked lots of dx on 20 - regularly had a QSO with friends back in South Africa on 20 and 15 meters. I now have it installed on my new BMW X5 SUV, and it works great, had many QSO's with friends in California while mobile here in S. Africa. My BB3 screwdriver outperforms it on the lower bands, but the ATAS sure looks better. I since found that my older ATAS 100 was not faulty, it was the Diamond mount that was. So I have both the ATAS 100 and ATAS 120 in service. To sum up...the ATAS is a great looking antenna that works well on 20 meters and up, and works marginally on 40. My only gripe is that I can't run my Ameritron ALS-500 amp into it (to make up for the poor performance on 40). It receives as well as other full size screwdrivers - it just doesn't get out as well....due to the power being lost as heat in the small wire coil.
73 John
ZS5J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: