Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What DX contacts have you made using your mobile t  (Read 1034 times)
OREGONNEWBIE

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2003, 12:34:39 PM »

I was just wondering about DX contacts people have made using their in-vehicle mobile tranceivers?  I read in one forum (forget which) that someone using a mobile unit out of their van made contact with a freighter way out in the ocean.

What DX contacts have y'all made from your vehicles, and what brand of radio/antenna did you use?

KD4EDE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 01:23:32 PM »

Pitcairn Island, several times.  A lot of Europe.   Some Central and South America.
 All using 100 watts and usually a hamstick.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 01:38:12 PM »

Australia & Europe running 100W with a TS50 and an IC706MkIIg on 20M and up. Using a 102-inch whip with an SG-237 tuner.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 09:28:40 PM »

To date, I have 304 worked, and 256 confirmed, all SSB. None of them are DXCC creditable for a variety of reasons. If you want awards, then MARAC (Mobile Amateur Radio Awards Club) is your best bet.

The king of the hill was Don Wallace, W6AM (SK). I don't remember the exact number, but it was near 325 mobile, both SSB AND (!) CW.

Alan, KØBG

VE3IVM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 11:33:11 PM »

Icom706mkIIG (100W) + Diamond HV7A

South America, Europe, Asia, Middle East and Far East, Russia, CW and SSB.

Ivan
VE8NX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2003, 04:54:48 PM »

From northern BC on 10m I have reached France, England, Israel, south america, a yacht in the south china sea... It all depends on conditions and what you have. the above were done with a HTX 100 at 25W into a ~100" whip.
There have been other occasions when I would have done better have gotten out of the truck and yelled Smiley

WO8USA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2003, 07:49:56 PM »

I've worked about 70 countries in the mobile, HF voice.  Most memorable are Indonesia, Australia, Senegal.  I use an Alinco DX70TH and a set of Hustler mobile antennas.  No linear amp.  I usually try to run at least 2 hours during the major contests in the mobile, its very exhilarating.

Chris WO8USA Dayton, Ohio
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 09:48:01 AM »

This is NOT an attempt to discourage you, just a fact that hasn't been mentioned yet:

The current sunspot cycle is on the decline and mobile DX (and fixed station DX, as well) will get harder as the months go on. So don't expect to wotk DXCC mobile during this coming winter and early spring.

That being said - GO FOR IT! There is a lot of stateside HF mobiling to be done. I never leave home without working some new folks. My rig is an Alinco DX-70TH and a High Sierra 1800Pro motorized antenna.

I currently have about 34 states and 45 or so countries mobile. It's great fun to have someone to talk to while traveling, which I do about 30k miles of a year.

Lon
N8IWK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2003, 03:03:58 PM »

Recently.... Japan, Sweden, Italy using a Radio Shack HTX-10 meter, 25 watts into a K-40 "trimmed" for 10 meters.
A while back I made contact with a French station using a Uniden HR-2510 25 watts into a 102" whip on 10 meters.
Recently upgraded and looking forward to trying some mobile on 20 meters when I get the equipment set-up.
G7VOT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 02:56:57 PM »

Contacted North and South America and the Middle East while mobile.

My equipment was an Icom IC706mkII, 10 watts (I was an M3 at the time, so I was restricted to 10 watts) and a Watson WAB-5 5 band antenna.

This was done from a high location in the North Yorkshire Moors in England, just out side the Village of Carlton in the North East of England.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 01:50:03 PM »

I remember Don's (W6AM's) mobile installation in the late 1960's -- he had a KWM-2 under the dashboard of his Cadillac!  That was pretty funny.

Anyway, personally I've worked a *lot* of DX from the car -- or from several cars, over the years.  During the winter season of 1989/1990, I made "DXCC" (100 DX entities worked) and "WAC" (all continents contacted), and close to "WAZ" (Worked All Zones -- I snagged 37 out of a possible 40) in just three or four months of operating, on the ten meter band, using both SSB and CW from the car.  That was using a Radio Shack HTX-100 (25W output) and a 102" stainless steel CB whip on a ball mount on the fender of my station wagon -- total "station" investment was about $200.  But, the band was in spectacular condition.

The ten meter band isn't like that today -- although it was very good just a year or two ago.  And, it will likely be that good again, someday -- maybe the peak of Cycle 24, which should be in about 2010.

I can still work lots of "mobile" DX on 20 meters, though, using my little Ten Tec SCOUT (50W PEP output) on SSB and CW, with the standard Hustler RM20 resonator atop the 5' foldover mast.  Best results for me are achieved when I'm driving in advantageous locations for propagation -- like along the beach (ocean front), or in the mountains, high up.  Sometimes, I'll park the car for an hour atop Saddle Peak (2800' above sea level, directly overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Malibu), which is close to my home, and just sit and "run" DX stations, who are calling *me,* rather than the other way around, because the location is good and I "get out" as well from there as I can from home with a kilowatt and a beam.

WB2WIK/6
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2003, 07:06:18 PM »

With a TS-430 and 40 watts into a Hustler antenna,( and remember that only 10% of the power into a mobile vertical is being radiated) I have contacted Hawaii and Australia twice. All you need is the right conditions.   73, Mel  G0GQK
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2003, 02:57:41 AM »

I have a IC706MKII2G  I have worked Winnipeg Manitoba, Japan and  South America
Dave
KA7RRA
NX7U

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 11:10:21 AM »

Plenty!
I have 280 worked, all mobile, mostly CW but about 150 or so on SSB.  I am a CW op by nature :-)
That's with an FT-100 and a High Sierra HS-1500 screwdriver.  I will admit to the 500W amp too.
As to the prior comment on the decline of the sunspot cycle making mobile operation less viable...I don't think so.  30m is a great mobile band, most stations don't have 1.5kW/7el here so you're more competitive.  40m is very good too, with enough attention paid to efficiency, and it will sustain you through the sunspot minimum nicely.  Just last night I broke three different pileups...FM (Martinique), TI (Costa Rica), and 6W (Senegal), plus V5 (Namibia), all on 40m.

Scott NX7U in DM43
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2003, 11:40:39 PM »

My best mobile DX was a short chat with a VU2 (India) one morning while I was driving to work on 20m SSB over the long path.  I was running 100w from a IC706 to a screwdriver HF mobile antenna and signals were good both ways.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: