Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition noise solution suppliers  (Read 428 times)
K5GUS

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2003, 02:19:58 PM »

Installed my IC706MKIIG into a 2004 Suburban and need to kill some ignition noise (motor boating that varies with RPM).  I'm happy to say that the Suburban has some good size ground straps from the hood to firewall, block to firewall.  My antenna is mounted on a aluminum plate that is screwed into the inside lip of the back quarterpanel where the tailgate closes.  I believe I need to kill this noise at the source since when I unplug my coax from the antenna mount, the noise goes away completely.  The power is with 12AWG stranded straight to the battery.  Radio is mounted under the middle row captains chair and has a heavy braided ground strap to the seat mounting bolt through the floorboard into the frame.

The NB takes out all the noise on 14Mhz and higher, but it doesn't overcome the noise on 40m at higher RPM and I'd prefer not to have to use the NB as it does have impact on my overall Rx quality.

So, if I want to attack the source I would like to find a source for split ferrites of the appropriate mix with the right diameter for the fuel injection wires, alternater and coil wires or whatever else may be under the hood generating noise. Perhaps even a capacitor across the coil wires if applicable to my vehicle? I may also try some resistor plug wires if they are compatible with my vehicles ignition system.  On the web I found a company called MTI that specializes in Land Mobile Radio EMI/RFI solutions, but couldn't get any of the pictures to load to see if they have what I need.  

If anyone has some good sources for the components I need, please forward them to me.  RF parts and Amidon didn't seem to have the diameters and ferrite types I was looking for to solve this problem.  I don't think generic mix 43 would have much impact here.  Looking for something like the Mix 71/73(?) that I bought to reduce shield RFI over my RG213 cables at home...

Thoughts??
Thx
K5GUS
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 11:07:16 AM »

Surplus Sales of Nebraska and Palomar Engineers both sell split beads. Mix 43 is the best all around choice. They come in .25, .375 and .5 inch sizes to fit just about any wiring bundle.

It is my understanding that most of Chevy's engines were using COP (coil over plug) technology. In which case, there are no plug wires and about all you can do is split bead the controls wires. On the one GM unit I tried this on,it didn't help. On my Acura it did by about 15 db.

Make sure the exhaust pipe and tail pipe are also straped.

As I said in a later post, until manufacturers address this RFI problem, we're all limited to band aid technology.

Alan, KØBG

KA7GKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 11:42:59 PM »

check out the radio works mix 31 ferrite split beads
1/4" and 1/2" diameters I think they run $2.00 and $4.00
they really work! they are made by fair-rite
machined nicely.

also chat with ICE they make assorted filters andmobile regulators and filters models 441,443,444
1-800-423-2666
they also have techy reports 1 page each on many topics see report #44 mobile noise elimination

happy hunting..be sure to share your solutions in thie forum

marty ka7gkn
ka7gkn@arrl.net
VE2KT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 05:24:59 PM »

The first thing I would do is to change the power line of the rig , I have on my car a line made with some RG 213 coax and doubled the shield over the first one,and use the central wire for the positive and the shield as negative.
Now the other thing is to run the power line in front of the car (in front of the radiator)so it will not pick up noise from the mortor or the ignition.
A little trick that worked very well for me.
And If you want to reduce even more the noise try getting a "Clear Speech Speaker" from AM-COM

Francois 73
VE2KT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: