Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation help  (Read 385 times)
KI4CGC

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2003, 01:18:56 PM »

I have a Dodge Durango and a Kenwood TS440S/AT in a mobile installation.  I have my Hamstick mounted in the rear with a 6in ground strip connected to the rear chassis.  My radio is grounded to the chassis as well, as I believe.  When I tune up and transmit, I sometimes get RF burns from the mic. Now I only have about 10 watts going out, I shouldn’t get any reflected power, as the SWR is very low.  The stick is tuned to that band and I shouldn’t need a tuner at all, but I haven’t checked it so I run it just to make sure.  It seems to tune up just fine.  Now I have the positive power strait to the battery terminal. The negative power is going to the chassis near the battery. There is a short 9in 10gage wire from the battery to the bolt on the chassis where my negative lead goes. I think this is a good install, but just want to make sure. Any suggestions or ideas to correctly install or fix my problems.  Thanks.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 06:00:53 PM »

The first item to check is the coax cable. Is it properly soldered? Have you performed a continuity check?

What is the VSWR? Using a SWR bridge is suspect especially if you're using the one in the rig. Beg, borrow, or steal an antenna analyzer and make sure what you're up against.

There is a VAST difference between DC ground, RF ground, and groundplane. I don't believe in clip or screw-on brackets, extension pipes, and mag mounts. If you want good results, you have to mount the antenna securely and away from any metal parts especially the coil.

Without more information, this is all the help I can give you.

Alan, KØBG

N3JWN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 08:22:48 PM »

Your getting RF BACK IN TO THE Radio put Troid cores ON ALL WIRING AND CONTROL CABLES EVEN THE POWER Cable.This will help Keep RF out of truck wiring. As close to the rig as posible, all cables to the rig get round one and put on mic cable... At the base of Ham stick put a toroid core there( on the coax!! to Keep RF off the shield of your feed line and run Braided shield from radio to gnd the Main Battery to gnd the Base of the antenna to frame groung you must Ground,Ground, and ground some more this will work...........Be safe and Have fun......73's Dick / n3jwn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: