Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile HF  (Read 733 times)
AD4HH

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2004, 12:33:28 PM »

I did a search and found no results on HF in this forum.

Anyone build a good HF mobile antenna?

There is a coil listed on eBay that looks like it would work with my Van.

Charles
WA4HND

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 03:19:11 PM »

I know someone who builds great mobile ants.... but as far as I know, there's a waiting list.   Also you don't state what bands you need to work and how you want to mount it... if the roof is possible, etc etc....

Bottom line, that's a very vague question... we need more detail!!

Al
AD4HH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 03:46:24 PM »

The forum contained zero search results so the question
for meant to be wide open.

I am interested in multi-band operation 10m-40m.

Bumper mount will have to do.

Ham Sticks look OK but a center loaded design for multi-band would be great.

Charles
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 08:06:09 PM »

This forum is full of threads on mobile HF antennas. Instead of doing a key word search, scroll through the pages of the forum.

As for manufacturers, the pages of QST and CQ are full of adds for the various antenna companies, as are the adds at the top of eHams pages. They show up all the time.

Hustler ...
High Sierra ...
Tarheel ...
Lakeview ...

and many more.
WA4HND

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 09:10:37 PM »

K0DU builds a center loaded hf mobile that you can mag mount to your roof ( way better than bumper mounts ) unless you don't have a hard top! <g>.   I've tested it against bumper mounted screwdrivers and it's way better as far as getting the best signal into the air.

There are two versions.... one goes from 70cm to 20 meters and is set up so you can travel with it and stick it on a rental car when you get someplace... the other goes from 6 meters to 80.. ( it may go 160 but I don't have a coil for that band ).

I've been trying to talk him into putting up a web site, but he has a waiting list now so he asked why?  ( didn't have a good answer for that one <g> ).

Al
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 11:01:18 AM »

There are nearly 100 listed manufacturers of HF mobile antennas listed in the Thomas Registry. Some good, some bad, and none really ideal for everyone. So, why don't you build yourself one?

It isn't difficult even for a screwdriver type. In the ARRL Antenna Compendium #7 are two how-to articles worth reading.

GLS Systems (Texas Bug Catcher) has a variety of parts and pieces to build your own as do several other companies.

Making masts out of 1/2" copper water pipe and a couple of 3/8X24 bolts has been described in this very forum at least twice. Radio Shack sells CB whips for $15. Add a few odds and ends, and you're in business. After you build it, write an article about how you did it.

Alan, KØBG

AD4HH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 12:32:35 PM »

Building the antenna is my goal and is part of the fun as well.

I have a van now to carry me and my wheelchair around.
I can't get to the top of it so a bumper mount will have to do.

I need information on building center loaded mobile antennas. I have seen antenna that look like they use
PVC for the coil form and aluminum tubing for the coil.

I could just experiment but if I can get close with the coil to start with it would be a big help.

Charles
WA4HND

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 01:11:12 PM »

Charles,

K0DU's ants are kits... but you should be able to build something similar yourself.  The main advantage you get with the kit is that he has the coil forms already cut with instructions for how many turns etc for each freq.

If you need a bumper mount and have to work low... I'd suggest you have some type of "mast" mounted on the bumper that can hinge so you can lower the ant to work on it.  ( kind of like the fold town tower concept ).  That way it's easy for you to work on them and also gets the ant up into the air and there is nothing better than getting the ant far away from ground loss and into the air.

Al
AD4HH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 04:44:35 AM »

Al this is a good idea. It won't be too hard to design or modify the lower section of the antenna so that it can fold.

Thanks for the idea.

Charles
AD4HH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 04:45:40 AM »

I can across this version of a homebuilt HF antenna.

http://www.qsl.net/n1lo/mobilhf.pdf

Thanks for sharing N1LO
AD4HH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 03:45:15 PM »

It looks like Don Johnson is the original builder/designer of the screw-driver HF antennas.

http://www.hamradiotoys.com/dk3.htm
This the web page or url for the W6AAQ  DK-3 Don Johnson Antenna.

Charles
AD4HH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: