Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '03 Accord 2 Meter antenna location?  (Read 730 times)
KF4AIB

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2004, 02:34:34 PM »

I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX-L that needs a 2 Meter antenna location (hopefully NMO mount).

My first choice is to drill the roof for an NMO mount, but I have an electric sun-roof in the way. I could drill behind the sun-roof but the roof surface is near the rear window which is on a rear sloping angle (so my NMO antenna will angle towards the rear @ 20 degrees). Mounting in front of the sun-roof would have a front 20 degree slope (the car would look like a Unicorn).

Second choice, a rear "through the glass" mount is obstructed by the rear window defroster element.

Third choice (that's not what I want), a center trunk lid mount that would cause an antenna to hit the car roof when the trunk is opened (which is opened 4 times a day). I could mount on the side of the trunk opening to stay off the trunk lid but I really want an antenna that is above the car, not below the roof line.

Any ideas?
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 05:17:29 PM »

The 'off vertical' configuration is no big deal. With the slope of the roof on my minivan, both my 2/440 and 6m antennas are canted outward from vertical. Looks a little funny, but works fine.

Lon
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 08:37:42 PM »

I just put an antenna on my '04 Accord EX-L Navi.  I used a comet trunk lip mount on the side of the trunk.  It seems as though there's a space right there that was intended for an antenna's trunk lip mount, although I don't think that's actually what it is.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 10:34:37 AM »

I would think the trunk lid would be a better place to drill the hole and mount the antenna. That's where mine is.

Alan, KØBG

K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 04:06:47 AM »

I've seen police vehicles with NMO mounted antennas on non-horizontal (= fender tops, rear of roof) surfaces.  The base coil is slightly tilted from vertical, and the whip is bent at the base to make it vertical.  I guess it works ok.  That would be easy to do with a 1/4 wave 146 MHz whip.
I have a '98 Accord, and have three NMO mounts on the trunk lid.  It's a very good place (second to rooftop mounting) for antennas.  When I first saw the *new* Accord, I wondered how an NMO mount/antenna would work on that short trunk lid.
KC0LPV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 12:08:11 AM »

I had an identical problem with my '98 Neon.  The sunroof prevents mounting to the roof, a large stock ("surfboard") spoiler takes up all of the good real estate on the trunk.  (Everywhere else, the antenna nails the car before the trunk lid is open).

I tried trunk lip mount--it hit the car if mounted to the front edge, and the trunk surface is too curved to allow mounting to the side without it wobbling back and forth!

I ended up using an "L" bracket mount to put it at a decent location on the side of the trunk.  Its performance has been quite good, and I haven't *noticed* a lot of directionality.  I've hit a repeater (antenna at ~300 feet) clearly at 45 miles away on ~50 watts.

Not the absolute ideal solution--but it is one that does not prevent the sunroof from functioning and does not require me to substantially change the appearance of the car by removing the spoiler.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: