Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 04 Toyota Highlander SUV - HF ANTENNA HELP!!!!  (Read 962 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2004, 04:13:30 PM »

Just bought a new Highlander and am trying to find a way to mount my hf antenna.  Any Highlander owners with HF experience: Your advice  would be much appreciated!!!

ISSUE 1.
Finding a place to mount a ball mount is a MAJOR PROBLEM!  Everywhere I look,  I see  hard plastic covers on the inside,  and double wall steel skin underneath with no visible way to: 1. drill a hole  in the left side of the vehicle above and behind the gas cap cover, that goes through it all; and 2.where to mount a  ball mount ( with adequate hand access from the inside to tighten the bolt and connect coax.

(Note: my previous Toyotas ( Camry and Avalon) had fabric in the trunk that could be pulled back to  drill and mount thru the steel wall.  Not so with the  Highlander.  Sad

Issue 2:
My SECOND PROBLEM is where to penetrate the fire wall ( at least 8" away from wiring harnesses,  computers and  sensors, per Toyota specs) to bring 12V dc  from the battery to the rig. (I was planning to have Toyota drill and grommet a hole for me but Id like to know where, beforehand, to avoid a screw up.)

Thanks  de Bob
K4KWH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 06:08:12 PM »

Bob,

One way to mount HF antennas is to use the "slider" mount that mounts at the side (end) of a Reese-style
hitch.  Shaped like an "L" it slips in the end of the
hitch and is secured by a "linch" pin. Some of the
hitches are open at the end and allow this "L" mount to slip inside.  Usually they are the same size (2"
square tubing) If the end of the mount (secured to the
truck frame on each side), are "blind", or welded, a piece of 2" square tubing can be welded on to accept the "L" bracket. This places the antenna out to the side of the SUV and keeps the antenna from interferring with the tailgate.  These mounts are usually associated with screwdriver antennas, but will
easily accept most any HF antenna.

If you have access to a steel supplier that will sell
2" tubing by the piece, you can cut a piece to fit across the back of the truck and weld/bolt it to the
frame. This is how I made my HF mount for my Chevy truck.  Drill matching holes in the "L" bracket for
the linch pin and you are set.

I hope this helps if you cannot use a ball mount on your Highlander.

Jerry

www.qsl.net/k4kwh
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 06:09:22 PM »

I'll tell you what I'll do. My neighbor has a Highlander, and I'll take a look at her's to see if I can figure out an easy way (place) to install a ballmount.

As for the power; a friend purchased a 2004 Toyota Tundra and received the same information you did. He drilled a hole under the floor mats (rugs actually), in the lower left corner where headlight dimmer switches used to be. This places the wiring away from factory wiring. Incidentally, this is a good idea for any installation for a number of reasons. And, take the time to properly fuse both of the leads on both ends as short circuit assurance.

If the Highlander is like the Tundra from which it is based, there is a wiring trough under the door sills in case you want to mount the rig remotely.

My e-mail address is k0bg@aol.com, and you can e-mail me first, or I'll post a reply here after I look at my neighbor's Highlander.

Alan, KØBG

K4KWH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 06:35:41 PM »

Bob,

I forgot!  Take your wires over to the foot plate under the door.  Remove this kick plate.  Under there
you will find (usually) holes for other wires.  If not, you can drill hole(s)for the power and coax. Chase the power cables up beside the front of the
chassis and into the engine compartment.  Use wire ties to keep the wires neat and tight beside the frame, etc. Go from there to the battery thru a fuse of the correct size. See that there is no interference
from other wires, or obstructions, before drilling holes in ANYTHING. BE sure that your wires don't get
against the muffler system.

You can chase your coax under the frame across to the
door and come inside the car. Often you can continue
the run under the kick panel under the dash and to the radio. If the radio has to be mounted in the rear
(remoted), then there is usually some way to access the floor.  You may have to get up under the car to see where a hole can be drilled for this purpose without drilling into something vital. To keep water
out, I use those little grommets from Radio Shack.

Radios can usually be installed in any vehicle. It just takes a bit of planning and imagination. Some cars/trucks are harder than others, but it can be done. Take time to decide, 1) where you want the controls to be, 2)check to see that control heads are
in a place where they don't obstruct your view or cause you to have to take your eyes off driving more
than a second, 3)safety should be foremost. Study the
places where wires can be chased into and out of the
vehicle. This may take a bit of crawling around under
the truck and checking for access plugs or where holes
can be drilled without drilling into something bad like double thickness panels or wiring harnesses (Uh Oh).  Every installation is different and there are no
"pat" solutions.

I hope this helps.   (I've been installing radios since the
60's)

K4KWH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: