Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '04 Toyota Tacoma - 2m/70cm installation  (Read 548 times)
W7WHM

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2004, 04:45:53 AM »

I picked up my new '04 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab today, and the owner's manual is full of warnings about contacting them for special instructions before installing 2-way radios or even cassette and cd players.  Also, in searching eHam forums I found a reference to a Toyota publication on the subject.  I'll contact the dealer for their special instructions and publications, but I was wondering if anybody had any advice on a good approach to mounting a 50 watt Kenwood TM-G707A (2m/70cm) in this truck.  I'm planning on installing a 3/4" NMO mount centered on the roof of the cab with the coax snaked to.... where?  Suggestions?  I don't have a separation kit yet but I'll get one if there is a good way to split the unit.  Right now I'm not planning on installing an HF radio in this truck.

I keep vehicles for a long time (15 years for the last one) so I want to do a good job up front, even if I have to have a radio shop do the installation in order to keep Toyota's warranty people happy.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Wally
W7WHM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 11:13:07 AM »

I'll take you a while, but you can "snake" the coax down through the plastic trim covering the left or right "A" pillar (windshield support).

The reason they want you to contact them has more to do with the SRS than anything. They want to make sure you don't use any underdash power. In other words, they want you to use good amateur practices and run the power directly to the battery. When you do, make sure you fuse the battery end of the cable to protect against shorts anywhere along the cable.

Alan, KØBG

W7WHM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 05:41:02 AM »

Thanks Alan... I think you are right - they had plenty of warnings about air bag sensors behind the dash, etc.  Of course they also warn you not to adjust the rear view mirror while driving because you may lose control of the vehicle, too.

I was looking at the truck closer today and I think it will be pretty easy to put the radio in without causing problems with computer systems.  There is a bracket intended for attaching a restraint belt for an infant's seat in the middle of the back wall of the cab between the two jump seats.  I think I can fabricate a clamp that will attach to that bracket and securely mount the radio main unit between the two jump seats.  There is an unused rubber plug from the passenger-side well where the tire changing tools are stored through the back of the cab to underneath the bed area which is perfect for bringing in power by running cable underneath the cab from the battery.

The cigarette lighter is nicely placed so I can fabricate a bracket (minus electrical contacts of course) that will plug into the lighter socket for mounting the remote head at the front console without interfering with anything.

I think with a little creative bracket-building it will be a fairly clean installation.

Thanks,
Wally
W7WHM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: