Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '03 Honda Accord Installation  (Read 578 times)
WB9NXY

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2004, 04:54:14 PM »

I have a 2003 Accord into which I'd like to mount a 2mtr rig. I'd like to mount it in the CD storage compartment that is located just beneath the AM/FM radio/air conditioning etc. instrument cluster. Does anyone know how to slide this plastic compartment out of the dash, is power easily accessible behind it, etc?

Thanks.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 05:25:14 PM »

The unit actually snaps into place and removing it is easy. Just be careful not to break it in the process. There is power behind it, but I wouldn't use it. Just about 2" above and 2" toward the passenger side of the accelerator pedal cable pass through is a plugged hole. You can see it from both sides of the firewall. Just cut the center out as the plastic plug as it makes a good grommet. Run the leads directly to the battery and make sure you fuse both + and - at the battery. The battery bolts are metric, and you can get nuts to fit at any good Ace hardware store.

Alan, KØBG

AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 12:38:25 PM »

Hi,

I have the 2004 EX model with GPS navigation and XM Satellite Radio.  It's about the same where that compartment is concerned.  

My radio arrives Monday, and I'm thinking about the same area to mount it.  If the radio fits in a DIN slot (about the size of an aftermarket car stereo) you could get the audio attach unit which is normally used to put the Honda factory tape deck or DVD player for the rear-seat entertainment system.  You can get the audio attachit from online sites such as www.cheaphondaparts.com or www.handaaccessories.com.

There are instructions in PDF to install it, under the instructions for installing the tape deck or DVD in-vehicle entertainment system.  Look around on cheaphondaparts.com.  Here is the one for the tape deck, which details removing the CD storage compartment:

http://www.cheaphondaparts.com/shop/instructions/accord04/aii25716.pdf

Ryan AB2MH
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 12:43:26 PM »

Oh, and do not, I repeat DO NOT use power from behind there. It's low amperage and wasn't designed for the high current drain of 2 meter rigs.  

Instead, run a wire directly to the battery.  Do not pass GO, just go directly to the battery.  If your car is automatic transmission, there should be an extra hole where the clutch cable was supposed to go, as Alan mentioned.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 08:40:21 PM »

One thing I forgot to mention is that it's held in place by two screws at the bottom of it.  YOu need to remove "not an ashtray" and the power plug as well as the trims around the shifter to get at it.
KC4GMY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 01:19:03 AM »

Some crucial points regarding an in-dash install:

Make sure that the heat sink is not close to any heater ducting.  Ducting radiates heat.  if the heatsink is an inch or closer, it will absorb heat from the ducting.  

Make sure that the fan has enough room for proper air circulation.  Allow at least an inch between the fan and any other object.  

When you put a transceiver in-dash, you are essentailly insulating it - think carefully about what you are doing.  If you transmit on high power often the transceiver will get very hot.  You can ruin your power module without proper cooling.  

Just my 2 cents worth - Charles
KF4AIB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 01:44:40 PM »

I agree, watch for excessive heat.

I also plan on using this space for my radio, but will leave the original storage door in place. Heat should not be a problem since I am mounting a Remote Head. This will allow me to close the storage door and hide the radio when the car is not used. I will still have to cut an access hole in the rear of the storage box to run the Head wire. And the Head will be mounted in the front top of the storage unit so this area can still provide storage. Remote Head radio's have near limitless mounting options.

73s and keep cool!

AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 02:16:34 AM »

I made a plate to mount my radio on and it fits perfectly in the "cubbyhole" beneath my AM/FM radio/climate controls.  If you need assistance feel free to email me or check out my website where I have a couple pictures.  

Dan / ab0re
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: