Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Valor HB5 mobile antenna?  (Read 441 times)
KC0PZE

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2004, 12:14:17 AM »

Can anyone tell me the exact lenght of this antenna? Also would like any opinions about its perfomance. I would be mounting it on a tandem axle dump truck to use mobile. Thanks in advance
Ed
KC0PZE
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 10:20:16 AM »

This is a new one on me! A quick search and no hits for Valor mobile antennas. Since you seem to know about it, is it HF, VHF, or UHF? Perhaps a combination.

Here's a good rule of thumb. VHF/UHF mobile to mobile commumications typically utilizes repeaters. And, they are usually installed in high places for obvious reasons. In an urban setting a 1/4 wave antenna (if properly mounted) will perform as well as a 5/8 wave or even a colinear. As the gain goes up, the angle of radiation goes down. On a dump truck, I'd think I'd want the strongest antenna I could buy, and a 1/4 wave fits that bill.

If you're speaking of HF antennas, size matters. In other words, short antennas are lossy. Can you still make contacts on a 4 foot HF antenna? Yes and in the same fashion as a light bulb on a post.

Alan, KØBG

KC0PZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 05:28:42 PM »

Alan,
Thanks for the reply. The antenna is a HF multi band antenna. 10,15,20,40,75 is the bands that is covers. HRO and AES sell them, but give no info on its dimensions in their catalog or website. That is why I wanted to know if anyone knew the size of this on since it is a HF antenna.

The info you gave on Vhf /UHF antennas is very heplful too, thanks.
Ed
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 02:45:41 AM »

The aluminum mast is four feet and the element is about 33 inches I believe.

Steve
KC0PZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 04:36:00 PM »

No one has any info on these antennas? Like how esay to tune and performance etc.
Ed
KD4UCB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 05:01:21 PM »

I am not sure, but if you are referring to the AB5T antenna, I had good results with the antenna while it was on my Explorer.  I used a trunk mount on my hatchback.  Tuning is a snap, just moving the whip in and out of the coil.  The big disadvantages are its bulkiness and the top-heaviness: guying it will be a must, as well as a sturdy spring.

It did outperform my current antenna, the Comet UHV-6.  I traded performance for smaller size.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: