Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing a Radio/Getting my money's worth  (Read 355 times)
RCMARTINEZ

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2004, 02:46:07 PM »

I need some helpful and friendly advice here.

I'm looking to buy a 10 meter for my DODGE RAM...

The equipment that I’m looking at is the Ranger 2950DX and the 2970DX.
And from Galaxy the DX95T or the DX93T.

I want to get the best radio that I can the first time, 'cause I'm sure I'll buy another in the future.

My question is; "Is there a real advantage to the increased PEP of the 2970DX and the DX95T? Both boast 150-200 watts of PEP, but is this a real advantage over the 25-50 watts PEP?" The higher PEP will not increase my broadcasting signal or does it? Which radio is the best quality and value?

I plan to use the radio that I choose as my CB (28.185) as well, at 4watts to 10 watts. I believe 4watts is the FCC rule. So that being the case, no matter which radio I choose 4 watts it is... So the way I see it, there no advantage paying more money for the increase PEP, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I plan on using the same radio as a base station. Once I receive my HAM License then I'll and some external power.... So back to the same question, is the increased PEP any real advantage?

Any question, regardless of the final decision, is installing an SP-1 Speech Processor worth the money? Why or why not?

Bottom line, I do not want to spend the extra money for an option that does not get me a good return for my money.

RC
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 03:33:24 PM »

First, I would not consider EITHER of the radios mentioned as WORTHY to be considered for serious use...

They are not real 10 meter radios and they are not real (read that as LEGAL) CB radios.

What I would do, is take the money you would spend on the glorified CB and apply it towards a real ham radio, IC-706, FT-100, Alinco...

Should you choose this option, I happen to like my radios mounted where I can SEE them while driving, without having to look down. I mounted mine over the rear view mirror. I do not know what options you have in your truck, so you may have a console there, so mount it over the sun visor.

OK, if that does not work, the IC-706 series allows you to remote the control head. Mount the transceiver on the cab wall behind the drivers seat and run the remote head up to the dash.
RCMARTINEZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 12:39:04 AM »

OK then, I'm taking your advise.

How about the ICOM 208H or the YAESU FT7800?

Can I assume these radio's have speakers?

RC
RCMARTINEZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 12:39:10 AM »

OK then, I'm taking your advise.

How about the ICOM 208H or the YAESU FT7800?

Can I assume these radio's have speakers?

RC
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 10:15:55 AM »

Yes they have speakers. And I agree with a previous post. If you want to expand your horizons, get the 706 or the 100. You'll be glad you did.

Alan, KØBG

KC7EQO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 11:39:00 PM »

I just installed a FT100d in my 4Runner with a atas 120 7Mhz-440Mhz antenna. The setup rocks and is well worth the money. I love the FT100d so much, I bought another one for the shack in the house. You can find them on ebay for about 660 dollars and there is a seller that is selling new ft100d's with warrenty for about 750.00. also purchase a ysk 100 seperation kit so the face can be mounted on the dash. The radio is easy to use and the recieve is hotter than the 706MKIIG's.

73 and good luck!

Matt
KC7EQO <><
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: