Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "passenger seat" radio mount  (Read 1282 times)
KD4HRI

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2004, 10:24:26 PM »

I am getting ready to place my Kenwood ts-140 in my Honda Civic.  There is no room under the dash.  I was wondering what tye of "passenger seat" mount I could come up with.

My best thought, so far: Start with a hump mount, mount it to a wooded base, with carpet on both top (for hump mount) and bottom (to grip passenger seat) and add a wood side with someting to slip the seatbelt through.

Other thoughts?
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 12:25:43 AM »

I used to have a TS440SAT in my passenger seat (company truck, never a passenger). I made a "base" using 3/4 plywood. I made a "box", the top was level with the world, but the bottom was angled with the seat. In the truck I was using, this was about 3 inch difference between the back of the seat and the front of the seat.
I then drilled four holes in the top surface for the radio feet to slip into, this kept the radio for sliding. I also allowed room under the HF radio so I could put a V/UHF rig and external speakers in the mount.
I put eye hooks into the box top on either side of the TS440S, I held the radio down with "bungie cord".
I ran the seat belt thru the box so that if I did need to make a quick stop, every thing stayed in place.

This worked out nice for me for several years.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 09:42:40 AM »

I wouldn't use bungie cords as an in-passenger compartment restraining device. In a crash they do not offer any real protection. Instead, use good quality 2" wide nylon strapping available at most Ace hardware stores. Safety First Always!

Alan, KØBG

KA4YKC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 01:34:27 AM »

Gamber Johnson makes a seat mount that can be used for radios, laptops, etc.  Some of my insurance adjuster customers have them issued by their employers to mount their laptops, etc.  Go to www.gamberjohnson.com and see their Seatmount4.  Kinda pricey, but you could fold up something like it if you're handy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: