Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: any use the huslter Model MO-4  (Read 408 times)
N3OW

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2004, 09:43:26 PM »

Well as I am still looking for a antenna for my jep and sence I have two resonators the SR for 20 and 40 meters.
I would use this on a 4 mag mount tothe roof of my jeep.
What do yall think this is a temp till I can figure which of the small screwdriver ant. to use.
Thank yall
Jay
N3OW
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 11:56:39 PM »

I think you would be better off getting a full size motorized antenna and mounting it correctly.

A mobile HF antenna is pretty ineffecient and small ones are even worse.

A Hustler mast and multiple resonators on a mag mount on top of the jeep? You'll spend a lot of time picking it off the ground, if it doesn't get run over by the vehicle following you first. Smiley

Lon
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 12:01:06 AM »

Forgot the rest ...

A four-mag mount will probably hold everything to the roof in a wind or at highway speeds, but the first time you hit a low hanging tree branch one of two things will happen - or both of them:

- The branch will dislodge the antenna assembly and it will fall off the vehicle, or

- the antenna assemble will be mangled beyond repair.

Lon
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 09:39:34 AM »

Or if you have a crash. Since Jan 1 or this year, the NHTSA has reported 3 injuries and 1 death due to flying antennas. I wouldn't use a mag mount on a bet.

The Hustlers are a medium efficiency antenna which work well if propely mounted. I have written several different articles about this for eham.net. A full list in on my web site links page along with additional information you might need.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 12:05:20 PM »

Alan,

<< Since Jan 1 or this year, the NHTSA has reported 3 injuries and 1 death due to flying antennas.>>

Any details on what kind of antennas and what they were on?

Lon
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 02:54:20 PM »

I don't know all of the details, and what is posted on the NHTSA site is limited. I do know the death occured in Cincinnati, OH. I was hoping to have the pictures sent to me in the near future. Even then it may be impossible to tell. I'll just have to wait and see.

Alan, KØBG

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 03:49:54 PM »

It will be interesting to learn the details. Might  make for another good article. Smiley

Lon
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 06:48:20 PM »

Unfortunate but interesting story about the flying mag mounts.  

I've never been hurt by one, but I have seen one go flying!  I had a big, fat 3-magnet mount on the roof of my leased Pontiac Bonneville years ago, and came to a very hard stop after traffic just in front of me did the same (not sure I ever knew why).  So, I did a very short, tire-screaching stop and went from 60 to 0 about as fast as a car can.  In the process, the 3-mag mount went flying in front of my car, snapping the coax in the process, and I ended up driving over it!

Nobody got hurt, but it was a loss of an antenna and mount, and although funny at the time, in retrospect, it's not so funny.  If the vehicle in front of me had a big rear window and my antenna went flying through it, it might have killed someone in that car; the 3-mag mount probably weighed ten pounds.  At 60 mph, that's a big, fat bullet.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: